Do You Always Tie Off Your Ladder?

Curtis; Linas is great.He is a nice guy.
You will learn.

That has never happened to me. But I should use my hold downs.

Best

Ron
www.santarosafumigation.com

Happened once / Nobody home / had cell with me / after trying to attract attention from passer-bys & calling other inspectors (nobody on my side of town that day), I called the local fire dept and they brought the ladder truck. Real cool.

Now I always take a climber rope / rig up with me so if it happened again I could tie off on a chimney, etc and rappel down.

Only takes once.

Yup, that must have been a sight to see you stranded up there Dan. :mrgreen::wink:

Hmmm, I knew you liked sliding down poles, but sheesh, to take it this far! :mrgreen:

Glad you made it off the roof safely.

You guys are all making fun of this, but take that old line from Forrest Gump: Stupid is as stupid does. What would have happened if you were just getting on that ladder and the gust of wind came along and you went over with it. If you think it cant happent to you, then that saying applies to you. I speak from experience for doing dumb things with a ladder. Right now I am still in recovery from a fall in January of this year. This **** is serious, not something to be made fun of. You got away easy this time. Next time you might not be so lucky.

Hope you are going to be OK William. I am offering to teach people ladder safety.
No takers yet and I am sure I will read more post about people thinking its nothing.
34 plus years and no problems thank god and 10,000 climbs up and as many down.
Its no joke and you are right.
Thanks for the insight from some ones first hand experience.
Get well soon.

tied off to what??

To a gutter nail.
Just in-case you are not joking.
Think about the placement of your ladder.
Put your ladder beside a stair case and you can tie it to the railing at the bottom.
Better yet look in my past post about ladder safety.

Yes I always tie it off , Now for a humorous story .
About 8 years ago I went up on a roof ,Ladder tied of and I am looking at the chimney when a voice close to my ear asked how does it look .
I Was startled and almost jumped of the roof .
There is a lady dressed to the nines standing there.
Now we all know getting on a roof is easier then off .
Well trying to help her of the roof with out getting to personal was not easy .
I thought I would have to call the fire Dept to help.
Since then I try to make sure I get the roof inspected and ladder closed before the client arrives .

Great one Roy ,I 2 would have jumped out of my socks if I heard a voice in my ear as I was doing a chimney inspection.

Robert,

Thank you. I am doing better. It has been eight months now. I still walk with a cane most of the time, and still have about six months of healing to go. By the grace of god, my family, and some really generous people in this business, I am able to continue to inspect homes (after 5 month of being in the hospital and recouperation). I do not know if I will ever be the same ro heal properly. I am putting this one here because 1) I appreciate your concern and 2) I want everyone to realize that something like this can happen to them. Hell, I never thought it would happen to me. And now I might never walk normally again.

JGB Developments Inc. Fined $30,000 for Safety Violation

October 5, 2010

St. Catharines, ON. - JGB Developments Inc., carrying on business as JGB Roofing, of St. Catharines, was fined $30,000 on September 17 for violations of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
On November 7, 2008, three workers were repairing a residential roof on Oromond St. S. in Thorold. A Ministry of Labour inspector visited the project in response to a complaint. After investigation, the inspector found that the workers were not wearing proper fall protection or head protection. Also, a ladder to the roof did not extend far enough past the roof’s surface and it had a damaged rung. Furthermore, a wooden plank being used as a work platform had a crack along its length and it overhung its support too much at one end.
JGB Developments Inc. was found guilty after trial to failing to ensure that:

• workers were adequately protected by fall protection
  • workers were wearing the personal protective equipment necessary to protect them from possible hazards
  • the ladder extended at least 900 millimeters past the roof’s surface
  • the ladder was free from defective or loose rungs
  • the wooden plank used as a work platform was free of any defects and it did not overhang its support by more than 300 millimeters

The fine was imposed by Justice of the Peace Dan La Caprara. In addition to the fine, the court imposed a 25-per-cent victim fine surcharge, as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.

Court Information at a Glance
71 King St.
St. Catharines, ON
Judge: Justice of the Peace Dan La Caprara
**Date of Conviction: **September 17, 2010
**Defendants: **JGB Developments Inc. operating as JGB Roofing

**Matter: **Occupational Health and Safety
**Conviction: [Communications Branch
416-326-7405

• Matt Blajer

](“http://www.nachi.org/forum/editor-content.html?cs=utf-8”)

Roy Cooke ;
its articles like this that people ( workers ) and company’s should take notice.
Workers have rights to complain.
Excellent report, and this company must be big for they where given a big fine.
I will be teaching a csst safety course soon if all goes well for the winter months and into the spring. My doctor has been pushing me to do so. I am willing to and just about to make the application and do not worry about being accepted for he is the biggest doctor doing toxic blood studies for work related injuries in Quebec.
I hate seeing this over-site for safety in the work-place. Its lack of training and will, that’s all.
Man the CSST insurance premiums are big here . I was paying 33.5 percent of my payroll for 5 years because an employee lied about having an accident.
Man I am still going through this crap after 7 years.
> I had photo’s of him running and fishing after 2 months and they did not allow me to show them.
His layers’’ 3 after 7 years for free’’ walked away from his lyes and the system is so broken.
>I have won 4 times ( my case ). He has won 5 appeals.
Last one on december12 of this years. It will be 7 full years and I will win again.
Thanks for the post.

To the bumper of the car in the driveway :slight_smile:

Mr.Hughrouth.
There are nails in the gutters and eaves trough about every 6 to 8 feet to hold-the gutters or eaves trough in place.
>You tie your ladder at the rail and to the nail ,using a good piece of rope’’ I use 1/4 to 1/2 inch laundry line not the yellow nylon.
>Tie too the eaves nail so the ladder will not slip off or slide down the eaves trough on a windy day. Nor when you are making your attempt to dis-mount the roof onto the ladder.
>Also make sure your ladder extends 3 feet above the roof plane you want to use as your landing.
It enables you a contact point for 1 and also stabilizer’s you as you are mounting and dismounting the roof plane.
Go into my past posts and you should see more on ladder safety.