GFIC protected extention cords

Originally Posted By: Mark Maloney
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

icon_evil.gif The evil fire inspector came through our baseball stadium and said we were in violation on extention cords. The cords are used for the baseball season only (5 months). Most of our outlets are GFIC protected. The fire inspector said that our cords are considered permanent wiring. He said we could not use any extention cords period. I asked if I could use an extention cord with built in GFIC protection. Answer:NO. He said the only solution is to wire the equipment longer, rated, cords or install the plugs where the cords will reach. He also said we could use an eight foot GFIC power strip and we could daisy-chain up to two together because the power strip is rated for permanent use. Is this rediculous or what. What is the differance between using a power strip and an extension cord with built in GFIC? The power strip is simply a GFIC protected cord with multiple outlets.

My main question is, has the code not caught up with the technology of GFIC protected extention cords or am I missing something?

Originally Posted By: bbadger

I do not see how the GFCI figures into this discussion.

From the NEC
Quote:
400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:

(1)As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure

Mark Maloney wrote:
The cords are used for the baseball season only (5 months). Most of our outlets are GFCI protected. The fire inspector said that our cords are considered permanent wiring.

I agree with the fire inspector, if you are using these cords in the same spot for 5 months every year IMO (and his ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) ) it is time to get some permanently installed outlets in those locations.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Look at this information:

http://www.ul.com/regulators/educational/ExtensionCords.pdf

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm