Documentation of wind mits

We need to document improperly rejected wind mits. Here is an example(names and address removed for this post) and my response.

From Mr Insurance agent

THIS IS A GABLE ROOF.AS LONG AS THE ROOF HAS A PITCH IT IS A GABLE ROOF NOT FLAT…PLEASE CORRECT AS MY COMPANY WILL NOT ACCEPT A FLAT ROOF…I INSURE HOMES LIKE THESE ALL THE TIME WITH THIS PITCH AS LONG AS THE FLAT PART WHICH IS THE CARPORT IS NOT OVER ANY LIVING AREA.PLEASE CORRECT THE PAGE AND EMAIL THE CORRECTION TO ME…THANK YOU…
— On Mon, 12/19/11, Contact @ Honor <contact@honorconstruction.com> wrote:

Mr XXXXX,

I have reviewed the wind mitigation form for 1234 Some Dr completed by our company.

Question five on roof geometry is listed below for your reference.
5. Roof Geometry: What is the roof shape(s)? (Porches or carports that are attached only to the fascia or wall of the host structure and not structurally connected to the main roof system are not considered in the roof geometry determination.)
 A. Hip Roof Hip roof with no other roof shapes greater than 10% of the total building perimeter.
 B. Non-Hip Roof Any other roof shape or combination of roof shapes including hip, gable, gambrel, mansard and
other roof shapes not including flat roofs.
 C. Flat Roof Flat roof shape greater than 100 square feet or 10% of the entire roof, whichever is greater.

The form does not reference anything about living space or non-living space. The picture included in the report clearly shows a flat carport that is attached to the home and extending beyond the structural wall and over “enclosed space.” After review of an aerial view the flat section is clearly seen as more than 100 sq ft and more than 10% of the total sq ft. Our decision to mark this roof as “Flat” on this current form will have to remain. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. If there is anything else we may do please do not hesitate to ask.

PS. this will not be a factor when the new form is released by the OIR.

John Shishilla
Honor Construction Inspection Service
Residential Contractor RR282811610
Home Inspector HI21
Accredited Claims Adjuster(ACA)
Mold Assessor MRSA1544

[size=3]
[/size]

Please send me your documentation of improperly rejected wind mits, from agents, underwriters and re-inspection companies. They are collection data against us and we should be able to show where they are wrong also. Without the specifics(forms and pictures) the data is useless. It will be kept in the strictest confidence We all know it happens please lets work on a solution.

John
If I am reading Mr Agents email correctly they are using your form to determine actual insurability, not just whether it qualifies for wind mit discounts…not the forms intent!
" will not accept flat roofs "

Fire and shield will not accept them either from what a client of theirs says.

I believe the dumb-asses are taking the worthless current forms definition to mean that what the current form makes us mark by definition is the predominant roofing system.

John, What about the reinspections that were performed incorrectly?

I have performed several inspections for people that LOST credits due to haphazard and poorly performed Reinspections. I was sent a couple of these reinspections by the client. I might be able to locate them.

We can talk about it or gather info, present it, and do something. Send me the documentation. qa@honorconstruction.com

They are going to have to figure it out when the form changes :mrgreen:

Calling them names only reenforces their position. It makes inspectors look bad.

For the record, insurance companies present to the OIR what they will insure and what they will not. I do agree with that, if they(insurance companies) do not want to insure green homes I am ok with that.

I do not agree that the 1802 form should be used for that purpose without informing the client before hand. I am for restructuring the insurance inspection process. Wind mits, four points, roof certifications and all the other insurance inspections(subject for another thread).

I agree the wind mits should never hurt a customer like the rest do.

That would be great