Does anyone carry a gun at inspections?

At this tear-down property today on behalf of a “fixer upper flipper” company. Didn’t even enter the home it was so bad. There was a furious pit bull on the roof (naturally), that the homeowners chained up at one point.

Then the homeowners asked me if they could leave. They leave, five minutes later the dog comes back out on the roof, telling me that he desperately wants to kill me.

Then a person I hadn’t met yet walks out of the home and asks me “who are you and why are you here?” I told him and felt very grateful he didn’t have a gun in his hand. Then he says “oh, I wouldn’t have let the dog loose if I knew you were here. He can jump down from the roof, he did yesterday.”

To be clear, the firearm would be to defend against violent animals. This pit bull today made me feel like it would be pretty damn appropriate.

Any feedback? This is the first and last time I step foot on a property like this, I’m walking away next time. But I feel like something bad can still happen even if I was more careful, especially in the “hills have eyes” regions where people beat their dogs into being a security system.

5 Likes

Dog without a leash or control, I did not do the inspection. Happened only once. Owner left the dog upstairs so the upstairs did not get inspected. Client pain me half because I did everything else.

1 Like

This photo is meme gold. Glad you’re safe.

11 Likes

I carry this at all times. It can make a formidable weapon against a rabid dog. Also always have my utility knife on me.

4 Likes

You should listen to this: Home Inspector Safety - With Bob Madewell - Inspector Toolbelt Home Inspection Software App

2 Likes

Dog or no dog I would have kept the truck in drive and passed on this POS house. I did one and never again. Too many health risks just walking in the door. Scabies is not fun!

12 Likes

Then you definitely are not!

3 Likes

To the client: "Got to site, recommend…

11 Likes

When you feel adventurous and start looking, you will find your wild adventure!

Renegotiate. Either your scope of work changes or the pay changes.

2 Likes

What a rat trap.

2 Likes

Sniper Tower

7 Likes

Nick should stop building new houses of horror and just buy this place. There’s like a full report just in the electrical service.

10 Likes

This!
…right up to the point they say no. Either the scope of work gets real easy, your pay gets real good, or you just alleviated yourself of a shitty day of work.

2 Likes

Years ago I had some punk pull a knife on me when I was unloading tools wanting my $ and some tools.

I always carried a machete in the back of my truck, that I got in Guatemala years before, and puled that out and he ran away very fast. LOL!

Then I carried something more powerful that was on my body always.

10 Likes

Be consistent and you will be fine. I did not remove a panel cover today because of sharp tipped screws and I did not crawl thru water in the crawl. I set those expectations, not them.

What are they going to do? Search for inspectors that will move furniture, crawl thru mud or put safety last? They won’t.

2 Likes

Take a look at a Snake Charmer 410. It’s a single shot, shorter barrel shotgun and holds 5 shells in the end of the stock. It was designed for it’s name and is good to have on hand for certain situations. Here in the South, Copperhead snakes are common starting this time of year. Scaring off Pit Bulls is year around.

snake

2 Likes

6 Likes

I like my snake gun … … …

6 Likes

True, but Snake Charmer takes less shots and is a fraction of the cost… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like