Double lugging neutrals?

Is it ever ok to double lug the neutrals? If not, how much of a hazard is it? If that is the only defect inside the panel, is a sparky really needed? Just for my info.

Thanks
John

I’m not trying to be rude, but please try the search function at the top of the page. You will find all the info you could ever wish for. :smiley:

NO NO NO unless buss is designed for same

If done before code change then it is ok but a safety issue. Remember the same amount of current is in the neutral as in the hot or breaker lead thus the connection must be good. Oh and the damage is the same as any other bad connection.

If you need to site code ask someone who cares about code - I really have a problem with the NEC. The people that have written it have had their heads up their a$$ for years. It is like they never went to school.

When you find the NEC listing on the above - LOOK AT THE DATE - Same crap about a walk in closet that is larger than the connected bath room that is connected to another bed room thus it is now a hall way and AFCI code.

And the list goes on

rlb

Hi to all,

Richard basically nailed it, I explain to students that in most cases 2 neutrals under one lug is just the same as a double tapped breaker or fuse, and if the bus is not rated for it them they should not be there.

Regards

Gerry

Thanks guys. I thought as much. Just for me own info, how would you know if the bus bars are rated for more than 1 wire?

John

It will say so on the panel specs.

They should be stuck to the panel cover.

Damn, am I getting short with people.:shock:

I trully do apoligize if I gave that impression.

Todd, I didn’t think you rude or short!. My question may of been out of line being that I kinda knew it was wrong to double lug, just not sure how to convey to client. Don’t want to make a big deal (blow a deal/relationship with agent) over something minor, but I want to give my clients a honest inspection. I want my clients to be safe as well.

John

OK, double lugged nuetralls are worth calling out and you deffinatly need an electrician to correct the problem.

Hazues forbid that you don’t tell them you need a real sparkie and the sparktrecute themselves.:smiley:

I can tell you why, but as a Hi’r do you really want to know???

Most all answers to most all question can be found in the search, and if that don’t cut it do a search in the archives and I can pretty much guaranty that the answer is there.

This board is stuffed full of some of the brightest and most knowledgeable Hi’s you will find anywere.

Take a peek in the archives, I am sure you will be impressed.

:smiley:

I write my reports using the archives…I search for “*” and author “Tallen”

F you T!!!:stuck_out_tongue:

Glad we got that out of the way…go read your post to the ghost thread

WE need a friggin chat room…stop clogging these threads up with our poor attempts at funniness…eh?

Oh, hell please do not do a search on my name. There are over 4000 posts and 90% of them are crap!!

As far as my name is concerned you would be best off to limit your search to this board.:shock::mrgreen:

Don’t need to read em’ as I posted them and everthing I said is true!!!

Here is one topic on the double lug neutral being a defect

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=1620&highlight=

Just don’t let it happen again!

You are forgiven! \:D/

Many panels have the label on the inside that indicates wire sizes etc. covered up with the wiring making it impossible to read.

Does anyone know of any specific panels that allow two neutrals under one screw? I have yet to find one that states it is allowed.

Be careful: many panels show 2 and three wires allowed under a screw and then the little footnote will state: “applies to equipment grounds only”

So all of you failed your jman test and couldn’t ever be a real electrician? I’ve double lugged every panel I’ve ever done. Hundreds if not thousands of panels and never failed one. What are you guys smoking? it has no effect on functionality whatsoever. Panel or sub panel it’s fine. Later the neutrals must be floated but you can still double stuff if they are 12 or smaller and must be the same guage per lug. But wow. Don’t listen to these morons.

Brett, just because you have done it for years does not make it correct.

1 Like