Double tapped main lug?

I found this in an old home yesterday, the panel appears to be a fairly new 200AMP. There are smaller wires installed with the main lugs. The house has 4 different sub-panels, I would guess these go to one of those panels, not that it would make it any more correct.

I believe it to be an incorrect installation, but wanted to see what you guys said. The main panel also has about 6 or 7 free spaces left.

Sorry there’s no picture, I am having trouble with the upload. I will try again.

Thanks,

Double tapping of the SEC lugs is a problem…write it up. They are not made for that.

It’s more of a danger to tap the main service lugs because there is no protection between the tap and sub-panel.

Absolutely.

For some reason, I can’t imagine how they got the smaller wires into the mains without getting zapped. Safety thing at any rate that deserves some mention.

Double taps at mains are a big no-no.

“Click To Enlarge”
elecdoubletap.jpg

Especailly if you have copper and aluminum together

5325 Broadway 056.JPG

5325 Broadway 056.JPG

The NEC has stated this for MANY years…here is a snippet:

“Terminals for more than one conductor and terminals
used to connect aluminum shall be so identified.”

The main lug of a service panelboard is rated for a single conductor…if rated for multiple conductors it MUST say so.

1 Like

The breaker is located at the meter box, so the breaker was probably off when he crammed the second circuit in.