DRONES and the FAA Part 107 Exam

Hi - I am a new inspector here at InterNACHI - have never owned or flown a drone - and decided to dive into learning a little about having a drone available in my arsenal for roof imaging capabilities when “walking the roof” is not a safe option. It just seemed to make sense.
First I decided to go through InterNACHI’s DRONE Pilot Training. While I learned a great deal about drones and FAA Part 107 Requirements - I just felt like I needed some additional support in preparing for the exam as I did not want to waste the exam fee of $160.00 (Yes, it went up).
Next I researched several on-line “drone schools” for about two weeks before I opted to go with “Drone Pilot Ground School.” Let me tell you, that was quite simply the smartest decision I ever made. I gave myself two weeks - went through their course and never felt so prepared to sit for an exam in my life. Thirty six minutes after it started I finished and scored a 93. Seriously, if you are thinking about preparing for the FAA Part 107 Exam - you really to check these folks out.
Next I did a significant amount of research on drones - especially their imaging capabilities and after all my research decided to go with the Mavic 2 Zoom. Waiting for my FAA Certification to arrive and practicing with the drone in the mean time. I love the programmable features on the Mavic 2 Zoom - especially the zoom function for close up imaging. Just wanted to share my “Drone” experience to date.

3 Likes

Hi Clyde,

That will help many potential drone pilots make a decision. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi - just trying to share! Thanks!

You don’t need to pay for any classes. I have showed a many how to pass the test with a few YouTube videos…

Hi - I did the You Tube stuff too - but I still felt like I needed additional support and resources. Like I said - you don’t have to do what I did - I did what I was felt was best for me - pleased with the results!

1 Like

How are you liking the Mavic 2 Zoom? I am trying to decide between the pro and the zoom. I really like the idea of having a zoom camera for inspections.

Hi - just some fried rice iendly advice. Start out with the DJI Mini or Mini 2…… once you get the hang of using a drone then look at more advanced models if you really want to. I started out with the DJI ZOOM… it now sits on the shelf while I fly one of my four Mini’s :joy::joy::joy::joy: Bottom Line is you don’t need a drone of that caliper to drone roofs…. The Mini will do anything you need done on a roof and for a lot less $. :sunglasses:

Thank you Sonny. Good Information. And you liked Drone Pilot Ground School?

Yes - they were great!

The other thing I would say is that since the Mini came out - and it is under minimum weight requirements for FAA Part 107 requirements - thee is great open debate over whether or not you need the Part 107 now… when I passed mine DJI had not even come out with the Mini yet and I decided to go with the basest toy I could find in the ZOOM. Not a bad drone but a real waste of $. When the Mini came out I tried it and fell in love with it - so much easier to operate and fly. I now have 4. The only draw back is you have to be cautious in windy weather because of its weight - have read horror stories of them simply disappearing in winds… keep it close to the roof on those occasions… Good Luck Guy

1 Like

If you are flying during an inspection, you need a license and your drone needs to be registered.
The 249-gram-rule is for recreational pilots, not for us.

4 Likes

What @bhull1 said :point_up_2::point_up_2:. If you are using it to make money, you need a license. It’s kinda like in the CMV world, if you are using the truck to make money no matter the size, GVRW, etc… It it is a Commercial Vehicle and falls under Federal DOT regulations.

1 Like

You are correct. I am well aware of that - just saying…… two years in and I have never been carded - not once……Lol