electric panel help

Originally Posted By: kbliss
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Did an inspection today and the panel box didn`t have a main breaker just a couple of 60amps and an assortment of 30 amps. could someone tell me more about this kind of service?

Kurt Bliss

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Kurt,

You should read the post under electircal entitled "need help". I am pretty sure that is what you are seeing. After you read it let me know if you have any questions.

Joe Myers

Joe,

Thanks for the help, you are right that is the same setup. I thought about that post after I posted my message later last night, so thanks again.

Kurt Bliss

Kurt,

I managed to get some good pictures of a good split buss. If you have any questions please feel free to fire away. If you will note this panel is actually split into three sections rather than the usual two.

![](upload://uCW23wqrwiw2otB394vFxpOi47s.jpeg)

Joe

Thanks for the pics I whish I saved mine. I will be doing another home in the same area soon and if its the same Ill post some pics. Thanks for the pics.

Kurt Bliss

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Joe,

Here's my qustion. What the heck is that duct doing there. Kind of reduces the required 30" space in front of the panel, huh?

Neal,

That is a supply duct off the heater. Nice huh!

Joe Myers

Kurt,

This one was done pretty well. Most don't have the lugs at the top of the buss. The wire's usually run under the other breakers. If you look close you can see the wires running from the (two) breakers on the bottom left side, to the lugs on the top of the buss.

And as always you are welcome.

Joe Myers

Joe,

Is this panel acceptable, or do you suggest they modernize the electric panel? Is the split buss just a inexspensive way to go?

Kurt Bliss

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Kurt,

Like Joe H said, it is acceptable assuming their are no other notable deficiencies. I personally don't like to see them and yes you are correct when you state they just took the cheap route. I like to see one switch to cut off the power to the entire house, just better in my opinion.

This particular panel was done pretty well, better than most that I see but still nothing to call out by itself.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: bdowd

That is for sure a weird looking animal. I came across one the other day. It was a single breaker on the 110 side of the panel. It had 2 switches on one circuit breaker. With one hot lead connected to it It was worded 20amp and 15amp “Bathroom heater (for 20amp) Bathroom Fan (15amp)”. Any help out there guys? icon_confused.gif

Thanks Bruce Dowd

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

Bruse a pic would be helpful but it sounds like you have a twin breaker with only one side of it being used.

This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: bdowd

Thank you Dennis icon_smile.gif

Bruce Dowd

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

Anytime Bruce with a “C”…sorry about that icon_lol.gif

This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.