Exposed Rebar

Hey guys I have a random question.

In other counties that I have been to, a lot of the buildings are constructed with reinforced CMU. The thing I am curious about is that many of the structures have exposed rebar at the top. Why do they do this?

There are many different reasons for exposed rebar, from anchor points, to “stub-outs” for future expansion, to “mistakes.” Do you have any pictures of what you’re asking in particular?

What do you mean by exposed rebar? While they are building or after it is all done? Any Pictures?:slight_smile:

No I don’t have any pictures. Its not a big deal. I was just curious and trying to post something more interesting than illegal free services.

Im talking about completely finished buildings and neighborhoods. All with a bunch of exposed rebar protruding from the top of the building. Each piece is a couple to several inches high. I have seen this in two different countries-Dominican Republic and Ecquador. I was thinking Kenton might know the answer.

Exposed rebar would not last long no matter what country you are in. :wink:
And I am lucky to get out of this state every now and then. :mrgreen::wink:

I have seen this in Greece and if I recall correctly the Virgin Islands. I believe the stubs are left to facilitate the addition of more stories later.

I guess asking if the re-bar was epoxy coated to prevent rust is out of the question for that area huh!!:mrgreen:

http://www.concreteconstruction.net/concrete-articles/troubleshooting-exposed-reinforcing-steel.aspx

That’s usually the result of poor construction practices. The rebar should be trimmed just below the top of the last course before the final lift of grout or concrete is poured.

That’s right Jeff, and the link in the post before that was not necessary, they just needed to ask.:mrgreen::wink:

1-1/2" cover above grade and 3" from earth. Anything less, you are asking for spalling concrete due to corrosion of the reinforcement steel.

I’ve been to several different Mexican resort areas and saw this in the residential/urban retail districts. We have asked locals about this.

They all have said that it has something to do with taxes. If a structure is not completed taxes do not have to be paid. So many of them leave the rebar and unfinished posts at the top of the structures.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&gs_mss=Mexican%20homes%20left%20u&tok=BZftiDBlrlbxSnt3LScezw&cp=36&gs_id=5q&xhr=t&q=Mexican%20homes%20left%20unfinished%3A%20rebar&pf=p&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Mexican+homes+left+unfinished:+rebar&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.cGE&fp=a5dcfad2a6298f40&bpcl=40096503&biw=1536&bih=789

http://www.archiveglobal.org/haiti/downloads/I.5-Local-Construction-Techniques.pdf

Yeah that’s what I read a little while ago too. I am almost certain this is the reason they do it.

Juan–at the top of what? Pls be more specific.

Oh–in other countries! Esp in 3rd world countries, it takes a very long time to build things, usu b/c resources of all kinds are scarce, esp. $ and materials. In a lot of cases they reach a certain point and then just stop for whatever reason.

There is no normal reason to leave it exposed. It is perenially incomplete.:wink: