Exposed Romex ... Question

Mobilehome … Breaker panel in the Master Bedroom Closet.
Is the exposed romex ok ? Or is it a safety ha

zard…

1 Like

Here is the verbiage …
Mobilehome … Breaker panel in the Master Bedroom Closet.
Is the exposed romex ok ? Or is it a safety hazard

There are a few things wrong here…inside a closet is a no no. Sharp tipped screws is a no no. As far as exposed wires…I do not see a problem but hopefully a sparky will chime in.

2 Likes

I think anything under 7’ is supposed to be protected. At least that is a rule in my area. I often see newer panels in basements with plywood across/around the cables coming out the top. Could just be an Oregon thing though as they change a lot of things.

With the manufactured home you also get into the whole manufacturer specs/rules vs. code merry-go-round. Code book says to follow manufacturer, manufacturer says to follow the code.

2 Likes

I’d call it out. Too easy for the Romex to become damaged.

And as mentioned, the panel shouldn’t be in the closet either.

The whole install screams unprofessional to me.

4 Likes

All wiring subject to damage should be in conduit. That being said if it’s not subject to damage then don’t worry about it.

1 Like

Thanks every one …

There are other ways to protect electrical cables than conduit.

1 Like

THANKS … for the info

My local AJH would not approve that, as a resident could decide to hang items from the wires, leading to eventual insulation failure and hazard.

Box it up in a soffit, and it all becomes good.
(the armored cable is fine, the others not so much).

2 Likes

Thanks !!!

How? …

Load center - in a residential closet?
:flushed:

When I inspect apartment complexes, I far prefer the closet locations. They are always relatively easy to find and get to. Too bad the NEC specifically prohibits them in closets these days. The “accessible” wall locations are too often hidden by pictures, plants, bookcases and more.

This is from the 1965 National Electric Code (NEC)

I leave it to the reader to find the current citation…

Bottom line the exposed wires in the OP photo are and were prohibited. Adding a wooden soffit would be sufficient to meet code as of the date of construction (post 1965).

In this case you could frame around it with drywall.

closet is a very common location in older manufactured homes here…

3 Likes

In FL, a manufactured/mobile home is licensed and titled as a vehicle and falls under the Dept of Highway safety and Motor Vehicles. They are usually not subject to Building Codes. Some counties do not require permits for a new roof or other work. Forget the codes and explain it as a matter of safety - the wiring could be damaged because…,

The NEC allows exposed NM cable where not subject to damage.

I don’t see how the possibility of finding a panel in a closet easier makes up for the potential to have a source of fuel for a fire should something escape from the panel .

@acox
My understanding is a bit different. So “code” is administered by HUD

Manufactured homes are constructed according to a code administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD Code) . The HUD Code, unlike conventional building codes, requires manufactured homes to be constructed on a permanent chassis

Legal Authority: National Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards Act of 1974 (42 U.S.C. 5401-5426). Regulations are at 24 CFR parts 3280, 3282, 3284, 3285, 3286, 3288, and 3800.

https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/housing/rmra/mhs/faqs

Then the FL DHS has its own codes to manage these homes including repair, alterations, set-up, tax stamps etc.

Then ultimately, the home inspector can provide an opinion if the HI has a safety concern.

Goof balls will start hanging clothes hangers on the nm cable and wearing it out, IMHO.

2 Likes