Exterior vent pipe

I did this inspection yesterday and cam across this odd looking vent pipe. It does go from larger to smaller with one of the connectors, however, I’m not sure what to say about it or if I should say anything about it. The only window near by is in picture and it does not open. It is about 8 feet from that window which is the only one.
Any and all insight is appreciated

Joe

1 Like

What is it venting?

2 Likes

Exactly and maybe just trying to extend it above snow?

1 Like

Not sure, the kitchen is below and both bathrooms are on the other side of the house.

Thanks Dave…I thought a bit about that, and my dilemma was how do you say it looks pretty bad.

1 Like

I use the phrase:
Non professional work - Workmanship appears to be non professional. Monitor and repair as needed.

and then describe the vent height and splicing and rate it as you feel.

1 Like

“Monitor”… What, Why, and How?? If you’re gonna include that word in your report, you better have answers/instructions for the other questions.

1 Like

If it’s the kitchen vent than it needs to be repaired by a licensed plumbing contractor. There’s a lot of mistakes going on there. It doesn’t need to be that high as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, maybe I should just say something to the fact “vent pipe at rear of house does not appear to meet current building standards. Have evaluated and make any/all necessary repairs” ?

1 Like

That’s for sure, Martin!

2 Likes

looks like the neighbor has the same idea…they have an operable window, but i’m guessing snow or they thought it needed to be extended because the neighbors did it…i don’t understand coupling the extra 6 inch piece at the top…unless they thought they needed to meet some height requirement. odd, but probably functions

Thanks for all the great help…Morgan, that’s really funny, I didn’t even see that in the background.

1 Like

IMO…

Exactly Jeff, that window makes all the difference…BTW nice graphics :wink:

And that the plumbing vent stack must extend over the roofline by 6" plus anticipated snow depth.
The neighbors house is fairly obvious.
In your situation… it’s not identified, so can’t really apply a standard to it.

Other than looking funky and non-professional what problem would it cause? I would just recommend to remove the top half and call it a day.

We don’t know what it serves, so kinda shooting from the hip on this one.
Your solution would be ok if its only an air exhaust vent with a minor fix in design.
What if it is Radon related? Same advice? I think not!

Looks like it’s smaller than 3"', so frost closure can be an issue, especially at that height outdoors.

1 Like

He said it was above the kitchen so I was assuming it was a plumbing vent. You’re right I’m not there. What would be the big deal if it was a Radon vent?

Needs to extend above the upper roof plane.