what about that pipe?

Originally Posted By: pgreaux
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/4/41.JPG ]

I very much enjoy reading the many posts in NACHI message board and learned a lot because of it. Thanks to all ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

Patrick, Welcome to NACHI

here is one a little smaller for you

![](upload://cjDBm9XdxS6io7I7vLIkWQWhBZM.jpeg)

--
Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I highly doubt that it’s a plumbing vent. If it is, it should be above the roofline.

Odd location.

I'll bet that the installer of this pvc pipe intended to utilize it to run cables of some sort, into the building.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Note it in your report, do not offer any explanation other than the exact purpose of the pipe is not known or could not be determined and refer the buyer back to the seller for the explanation. None of us have a crystal ball or can read minds (would be nice). It is better to just say I don’t know what it is than to try and guess what something is or does. Homeowners do all kinds of weird things and often brag to us about it, thinking it is quality work. I am pretty confident when I say most of the problems I find in homes are either from untrained homeowner repairs/upgrades or due to out and out negligence. Or “deferred maintenance” as they like to say in Realtorland.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

dedwards wrote:
Note it in your report, do not offer any explanation other than the exact purpose of the pipe is not known or could not be determined and refer the buyer back to the seller for the explanation. None of us have a crystal ball or can read minds (would be nice). It is better to just say I don't know what it is than to try and guess what something is or does. Homeowners do all kinds of weird things and often brag to us about it, thinking it is quality work. I am pretty confident when I say most of the problems I find in homes are either from untrained homeowner repairs/upgrades or due to out and out negligence. Or "deferred maintenance" as they like to say in Realtorland.

Good call I found one in the middle of a lawn once only it was a metal pipe.
I found a 3/4 steel pipe coming into the home .
I immediately thought it could be an old oil tank .
I took the cover off and could smell nothing.
I wrote it up (hard) suspect buried tank could be old oil tank recommend immediate further evaluation.
The person who used to own the home had sold it 12 years ago but still lived in the area and explained the well could not be relied on and it was water storage.
The home had been on town water for 20 years .
Remember miss nothing a buried oil tank can cost a huge amount to remove

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

I completely agree with you Dave (should be above roof line) and also with Doug who has also a very good and wise answer since since I don’t know for sure what this pipe is for.

Thanks for your insights and quick responses.

Hopefully I won’t get too many of those in the future because being new in this business, it is always uncomfortable to say “I don’t know” (I don’t have enough grey hair and thousands of inspections under my belt which could prove that another more experience home inspector could very well have the same answer). I am planning to be doing home inspections for a long time since I am enjoying it so far so I better get used to cover my butt.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Patrick,

I can almost guarantee you will see many things during your hopefully, long and successful career in the HI business that will leave you scratching your head and other parts of your anatomy months later, still trying to figure out “What were they thinking when they did…” Clients will respect you more if you just be straight, honest and willing to say “You know, that is a good question, I don’t know what that is” We need to ask the owner or see if the Realtor has something on the disclosure sheet about this". I have seen inspectors who have tried to tap dance and BS their way around a subject and believe me the client will know. Sometimes you will be able to find out what something is by researching or coming in here and asking. Taking a picture (like you did) is exactly what you should do so you can document things. You may never find out but at least you tried. Always say what you mean and mean what you say. It doesn’t always have to be real fancy words with very professional sounding terminology. Sometimes it just is what it is.

Appreciate very much all the good advice. icon_biggrin.gif , thanks Doug and everybody else who participated in this topic.

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

my usual response to something that i haven’t got a clue as to what it is?

“not sure of it’s intended purpose, but i’ll find out for you and let you know tomorrow.” icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Hey; Jay,
What if it takes you a week to figure it out. Then you have gone beyond your promissory note. ha. ha.

Marcel

Marcel. that’ll never Happen, because i’ve got an awsome resource for answering any and all my question. it’s called “the NACHI message board”. i love and appreaciate every word typed in response to all my questions…by the way is there something brown on my nose? icon_cool.gif

usually i don't use the word "tomorrow" i say, "i'll get back to you when i have your report ready and i'll have an answer for you then. shouldn't take me more than a day or so."

Originally Posted By: rcooke

Jay Moge wrote:
Marcel. that'll never Happen, because i've got an awsome resource for answering any and all my question. it's called "the NACHI message board". i love and appreaciate every word typed in response to all my questions..........by the way is there something brown on my nose? ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

usually i don't use the word "tomorrow" i say, "i'll get back to you when i have your report ready and i'll have an answer for you then. shouldn't take me more than a day or so."

Jay
So glad to hear you love this BB I do too, and all the members too.
I just wonder why you do not join so you to can get to the rest of the sites that are for members only .
You seem to wish to help where you can and I am sure you would be welcomed

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Roy, i know i know, join, join, join. i will. give me some time to get the money. unless you wanna spot me. i’ll give you 25% of every inspection i get threw NACHI untill i pay you back. are you confedent enough that i’ll get more business here? lets see. icon_cool.gif just kidding Roy, i’m not a charity case, just give me some time.

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

I see pipes like that frequently. Most of the time it is a shot-off valve for the water line to the home. I live out in the sticks where most folks are on private or community wells, and they don’t have water meters.

Well, Paul, the house is about 10 years old and is hooked up to the city so it doesn’t look like it is what you’re talking about (but I’ll keep that in mind if I see it again…).

icon_smile.gif

Hey Jay,

Become a member and I will be able to give you a hard time in all posts.

Ha. Ha.

What the hell is $300 bucks? Become one of the most elite Home Inspector Team Member and enjoy all the information available they have to offer.

Be glad to see you come aboard.

Marcel

Hey Marcel,

i've totaly enjoyed all your post and info/knowlage and have learned alot by just reading your posts. however the fact still remains, i'm working full time to pay the bills and triing to start this HI business at the same time. gatta pay the bill ya know? trust me i will join, promise, cross my heart hope to die, stick a needle in my eye. i spend every availible minute i have advertising, and promoting my biz, but there's only so may hours in a day amd i spend most of mine working at my other job, but have no fear. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Hey Jay;

I might need your help later on figuring out how to establish an HI business, my full time job is building and have not marketed at all yet and might need some of your advice. I will be ready to retire in about five years and started two years ago as an HI.

I have done a few with word of mouth, and that is about it. So I am new with this also. The only advantage I have is 40 years in building construction, and still learning. You are never to old to learn, and it has been a pleasure to everyone's advise and views on this bulletin board.

If I can help in anyway it would be just a pleasure.

Take care and hope you make it to joining this team.

Marcel

Marcel.

well when your ready, i'll give you any advise i may have, but once your retired you'll have more than enough time to market, network and advertise. as will i (in about 34 years) i'm trying to do it the hard way, hold a full time job, try to get the HI thing off the ground so i can do IT full time, retire and keep doing it. my advantage is i've spent years doing general construction (from ground work to roofing and everything in between). i know a little about alot which is what i need. but i don't know alot about any one system (yet). on a 10 scale i'd say my general knowlage on all sysems averages out to about a 7. 8 for some systems but 6 for others. but with all the learnin' i git offn' this board, i'm getting more smarter and less dummerer ![aiwebs_017.gif](upload://uRAv2wUJ69tsXvKKQ6tsqcq8ik5.gif)
all of the ispectoins i've done were either word of mouth or by asking the realtors to kindly put me on their list and give them a 10% kick back for any job attained by their recomendation or if the client gives me their name. i also printed up special business cards with a coupon on the back that i only gave to certian connections. if i get one back i know it was a good referal from that connection. i've got all kinds of tricks and ideas, some actualy work. i guess my avarage is about 16 hours of networking for every 3 inspections, so that averages out to be even, hour for hour so far. only in business for 4 months so far, so i'll let it gain speed before i try to take off and fly solo. well enough out of me for now, good luck marcel and don't be afraid to e-mail me direct if you need anything. cheers. (which reminds me, we still gatta have that beer)

icon_smile.gif

Jay; Thanks for your thoughts and advice, but the only cliche I would have would be in giving these blood hounds of real estate agents 10% kick back. Is that suppose to be the percentage of money they will loose off the asking price after our inspections are complete?

Other than that, I thank you for the advice.

Marcel