Fire door label

Fire door inspection per NFPA 80.
Can anyone instruct me as to how to advise my client on where to get fire door and frame labels in FL?
I was looking for an inexpensive way for him to correct his missing labels problem.
Can this be done without them having to have the doors inspected again by another agency or inspection company? I think most of the doors and frames in the building were all the same rating ( except those labeled that is , lol)
I read Marcels reply in another topic where he says mark it as “unlabeled” or Fire Rating unknown" but how can I advise to fix the problem? Thank you.

Also if any one knows… I am trying to determine if smoke seals are required. I think IBC says if they go into a corridor . The labels on the doors do not indicate that they are smoke certified but the church is like 25 years old. The church is in the middle of the building and classrooms and offices are around it with the adding hallway between the two. I assume that fits the definition of corridor but the building was not constructed as such. Do I tell them they should add seals to all the doors?

To my knowledge; only the manufacturers label the fire doors. Fire doors are labeled at the time of manufacture and the label is to remain on the door for its life.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply Evan. That is true, but I think you can have one made. I think that it can only be done through certain places though.

How can I find out more about an existing fire door?
Each fire door is labeled with a permanent label that must remain legible. Fire-rated frames may have a label or embossment from a listing agency. The door and frame labels contain a wealth of information, including the manufacturer, length of time the component is designed to resist fire, whether the opening is to be equipped with fire exit hardware, and whether the door carries a temperature rise rating or is a smoke door assembly.

Fire door labels usually include a number allowing manufacturers to access more information about the door’s original construction. Frame labels may state a fire resistance duration longer than that of the door. In this case, the assembly’s rating will be the lower of the two. Some hardware, such as fire exit hardware, will also be labeled, but the information on the label is typically less detailed.

How do I know what fire resistance rating I need?

This may help you here a bit.
Fire doors and their ratings are all designed using the occupancy loads at the time of building and design. The listing is by the manufacture of the doors based on that occupancy loading.

The building code mandates the required fire resistance rating of a wall in a particular location, and also states the required rating of the opening protective, or fire door assembly. The fire resistance requirements for various types of fire walls, fire barriers, and fire partitions, as well as smoke partitions and smoke barriers can be found in Chapter 7 of IBC .

Read more here;

2 Likes

Field Labeling of Fire Doors

Intertek in my neck of the woods.
Warnock Hersey.
Rating is a serial number.
Warnok Hersay Interek

2 Likes

Good to know. I come across residential interior garage doors with no visible label. I just report no label, but now I’m thinking I may suggest a service like Warnock Hersey if I can find a company in Colorado. So far all I’m seeing in a Google search are commercial services.

For Residential, it may be less expensive to just replace the door assembly. Commercial would be a whole other story.

1 Like

Good point. I’ll keep reporting what I see or don’t see and let the residential inspection client sort out what they want to do with their garage door. I’m off topic too. Given the discussion started with a church/commercial not residential concern.

I think the OP was edited with that info at a later time. I don’t remember reading that when I first saw this thread.

Thank you everyone for your help. The client is in a bit of a pickle because all his doors go to corridors and therefor require sealing from what I understand. Well none of his doors have sealing. If he puts sealing on his doors, it then makes all his labels bad as they are not listed for seals. I am sure the code for labels has been changed as his church is 25 yrs old. The fire marshal told him " there is no grandfathering in fire safety"
Everyones help was much appreciated.

1 Like