First Inspection , I`m a little nervous

Originally Posted By: kbliss
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have my first solo inspection coming up this Sat. and I must confess Im a little nervous.I did a good job selling myself and now I have to step up to the challenge. I will use my education and experience but still nervous. Anyone have any pointers for a first timer(cherry). By the way my client got my name off the NACHI web site how about that.Great organization that also pays for itself. Well Im excited and I got to go.

Kurt Bliss
Home Inspectios by Kurt Bliss

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Kurt,

Congratulations firstly, I am in the same possition, just starting out. I have not yet done my first paid HI, but I appreiate your hessitation, my suggestion for what it is worth is if you have the time on Friday or Saturday is to go inspect a friends or relatives house for laughs, it will make sure you haven’t forgot to pack any thing, and that you can string two words together. My only other thought is get to the property at least 1 hour early and do your lots and grounds and exterior before the client and agents appear, it will give you time to get your head into it before you start having to field questions, do it at your own pace and DO NOT rush, for any one.

Good luck and send a post afterwards as to how it went.

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

You’ll do fine! First think I always do is to meet the client, and help set expectations. The biggest expectation you need to set is that you’re not clairvoiant and you don’t have x-ray eyes. There is no way to see through walls or to know everything that was ever wrong or that will ever go wrong with the house. Next thing is to have them sign a pre-inspection agreement. If you dont have one, I’ll e-mail you one or use the one NACHI suggests (on the site).

Next thing is to meet the seller. Tell them what you'll be looking at and about how long it will take. Ask them to remove anything from the oven and stove, as you'll be turning them on. Ask them if they want to add soap to the DW, as you'll be running that too. Try and ask them if they can tell you a little bit about the home. How long they've been there. Did they ever have a major repair done (roof, heat, AC, etc) Had they ever added on to the house, and if so, did they get a permit. If they did, have them provide a copy to the BUYERS AGENT, not you.

Be calm, stary in one place and go on. I usually start the DW and hang out for a couple of minutes (make sure there's no obvious leaks). I usually move to the outside. You know... roof, gutters, downspouts, insects (check the sill with a mirror, exterior, sills (use an awl to check for rot), hose bibs, vegetation too close to house, etc. Move inside and ro room to room, check windows, cracks, smoke alarms, outlets, etc.

Make a checklist. If you need one, let me know.

Take notes. Don't try to do a report on-site. You'll be fine...

Good luck!!

Joe,

Thanks for the reply and the vote of confidence. Ya I know Ill do fine I started a lawn care business 15 years ago and went through the samething its always hard when its something new out of your element. But i have done a few with a friend and have felt very cofortable doing it.Thanks for the offers but I do have an agreement so Im all set and thanks again.

Kurt Bliss

Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson

Kurt,

Add to Joe's post:
Honesty
Integrity
Loyalty to your CLIENT

All of these will be tested on an inspection, all on some and some on all.

Good Luck.

Bob

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Good Luck! You’ll do fine.

If you are real nervous, do a few for friends and relatives to get your patter down. Remember to charge them a buck or two to do so. That allows you to count them for "fee paid" inspections in obtaining licensing and some membership requirements.

Let us know how it went.

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com

Bob,

Nice touch... right on target and probably the most important points/qualities of all! Thanks...

Joe

Originally Posted By: Bill Emelander

Kurt,

Being a newbie myself I felt the same on my first HI. I do agree get there a little early it helps.

Joe has some good advice.

Good Luck
Bill

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Kurt,

Take a deep breath and go give em HE**.

Take it one thing at a time. Take your time but don't drag it out. Maybe do a practice run on your house or the neighbors house. Time yourself and see how you do.

I have learned over the many years I have been living that it is no use looking back at what you could have done wrong. You can not change the past but you can change the way you do things in the future, so keep your focus there.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Robert DiRocco

Kurt you’ll do fine. I’m new in the business since Dec 02. There will be a bit of nervousness in almost all of your inspections. You just never know what you might find (when you crawl into that dark crawlspace) or what questions your clients will ask. Just be yourself, and take your time.

For those extra dark crawlspaces… carry a big stick and a million candlepower flashlight…

Originally Posted By: Ed Porter

Congratulations on your first paid inspection! I am sure we will all be cheering you on from our distant sidelines. Like some others said, get there early. It will give you a chance to get familiar with the property and to shake off the butterflies in your gut.

Bring some reference books to keep in your vehicle. Take lots of notes, and put your training to work.

Be confident, and if you don’t know something, be honest. Do not B.S. your answer. That will come back to bite you in the backside.

Good Luck, you'll be just fine.

--
Ed Porter
Cornerstone Home Inspection Services
Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: mhenderson

Kurt,

Even a seasoned veteran had his 1st inspection at one time,take charge from the “get-go” & dont let the real-estate agents(if present) intimidate you or try to hurry you (& they will).. watch how you say things because it always gets greatly exaggerated & for kicks dont say the following:

(1) Oh my God…Everybody out of the house… now!"

(2) Is that gas I Smell…

(3) Hold these 2 wires for me will ya!

(4) I wonder what this thing does?

(5) You mind putting that ladder back up for me.

(6) Ok…kid…put my tools down.

(7) Anyone here see my flash light

I`m sure a few inspectors out there have heard or used a few of their own

Enjoy the 1st time…have fun & do a good job!!! & GOOD LUCK

Mike
Eagle I HomeInspections
Allen Park , Mi.

Originally Posted By: Ed Porter

Let’s add to the things never to say at an inspection:

8. This would be a lot easier if I were sober.
9. Which one of these is the HOT wire?
10. Wow, your wife is a babe!
11. Hey, can someone find me some toilet paper out there?
12. Hey kid, put your hand in there and tell me how hot the water is.
13. Is carbon monoxide the bad gas, or the good gas?

Just for fun. Any other additions?

--
Ed Porter
Cornerstone Home Inspection Services
Grand Haven, MI

icon_lol.gif

Whilst we’re in a silly mood and with all due respect to our Southern brothers ( and Jeff Foxworthy )

If you ever showed up at at HI with a six pack, you may be a red neck HI

If you crawl underneath to check tire pressures, you just may be a red neck HI.

If your lost in thought, and absent mindedly scratching your crotch, you may be a red neck HI.

If your tool kit includes duct tape, you may be a red neck HI.

If you write your report on the back of a Marlboro pack, etc etc.

seriously maintaining as sense of humor at all times helps !!

Gerry Beaumont

NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: Robin Liles

Gerry,

Just to set the record straight, not only do we have to check the tire pressure we also need to check for tires that are dry rotted ,just in case the home falls off the"foundation"(cement blocks).

Griffin, like it like it !, In the light of your last post I’ve been back through my reporting software and have noticed a major deficiency. Non of the programmes that I have allow for trailer tire inspections !! I am even as we speak addressing this major problem. I am writing into my software a test protocol for tire inspection, and if deficient will include the following phrase: Needs to be towed to nearest NTB for retread and re-alinement, high speed balancing should solve further problems. I am staggered that 3D, palm-tech and Home gauge have all missed this one, have they no care for our e&o insurance rates !!!

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Gerry

We dont leave the wheels on the homes anymore its not cost prohibited. They reuse them on the next trailer. See we dont waste money in the south, thats why our states operate in te black.

Kurt Bliss

icon_confused.gif Kurt,

I do wish I had known that before I stayed up all night re-writing my templates !! I was really getting into it, what with Firestone recalls and all that ! Also I must make sure not to use the “If your idea of home improvements are hub caps” joke again. As to our budget problems up here we now have elected Mitt " I saved the Olympics" Romney in the hot seat, and will be back in the black next week.

Gerry

Gerry Beaumont

NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: Rusty Rothrock

Kurt Bliss wrote:
I have my first solo inspection coming up this Sat. and I must confess I`m a little nervous.I did a good job selling myself and now I have to step up to the challenge. I will use my education and experience but still nervous. Anyone have any pointers for a first timer(cherry). By the way my client got my name off the NACHI web site how about that.Great organization that also pays for itself. Well I`m excited and I got to go.

Kurt Bliss
Home Inspectios by Kurt Bliss

Kurt - Congratulations on your upcoming first inspection. I'm sure we all remember our first inspection and the butterflies that came with it. What Bob P. and Joe F. have mentioned to you is very sound advise, be yourself. I approach each house with the attitude of inspecting the house "like I'm buying it myself." If you do that for your client, you just can't go wrong. You'll do just fine.
Regards, Rusty