Newbie seeking help and advice

Originally Posted By: ppemberton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey guys my name is Preston Pemberton i’m a new HI wanting to get some advice on my 1st inspection coming up. I haven’t had any hands on training just only educational training. I’m desperately seeking ride along in the atlanta area, do i have any volunteers?

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Preston,

I recommend scouting out your first home prior to the actual inspection. Also arrive early to get your self in the right frame of mind when the clients get there. Your going to be pretty nervous, but just relax and have fun. I start on the exterior, pick a corner of the house and work your way all the way around. Next I go on the roof if possible. Next I go inside find a place for my stuff and start in the kitchen. Next I pick a corner of a room and work my way all the way around the house. Same follows for all floors. My last stop is either the attic or the crawl space if there is one. Take your time and try and stay focused. When the client first gets there do your meet and greet and get them to sign your pre inspection agreement. I don't collect till I'm done, but some insist on getting the money first. Not my style, you find your own routines as time goes on. Good luck, Chuck

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: scavaness

I agree with Chuck. Remaining focused is the main thing. There are times when you will be alone, and times when you will be accompanied by a home owner, seller, real estate agent, etc(hopefully NOT the mean dog)…Naturally, you will need to talk with them. Be prepared to answer questions by doing it in a narrative style, rather than just yes and no answers and you should be fine. Since you have just started, maybe you could talk with whoever helped you get trained and started and possibly just go along with them on their inspections to continue your learning and gain more insight too…is that helpful?

Originally Posted By: adeerey

but run down to SW florida and you are welcome to ride with us

The advice above is great

Make sure you have a template ready to go and do not kill yourself with the little things

Focus on the guidelines of a good inspector

Aj

--
This signature thing at the bottom is for what real purpose?

Originally Posted By: jmertins

Be positive, personable, give straight honest answers and remember your place in the whole transaction. You are not the realtor!!!.. do not try to do any negotiating, stay away from quoting prices on repairs…tell them to seek quotes on there own and never be afraid to defer to electricians, plumbers, roofers, and so forth. It only protects you !!!

John

Originally Posted By: ppemberton

Hey Guys,just wanted to says thanks for all your advice i’ll let you know how my first inspection goes. It is schedule later in the week.

talk to you later , Preston