First inspection nerves

So I am about to do my first inspection and I’m kind of nervous. I’m confident in my ability to do the actual inspection, but I am more so nervous at the end of the inspection talking with the client I guess.

Do you go over the entire report with them? Or just the main concerns and tell them they will get the rest in the report?

I know this sounds ridiculous and I’m overthinking this, I guess I’m having a bit of anxiety about it and don’t want to seem nervous.

Can someone kind of tell me how they wrap up the inspection basically ? Also how much time do you spend with them at the end?

3 Likes

Following, this is a great topic.

Just take them on a walk around the home and show them things, big & small. This will help you stay focused & not forget things. Let them ask questions & LISTEN to your clients. This business is a service & clients like to be tended to. Spend as much time as they need. If they are acting board or not engaged, speed it up. Slow it down if it looks like they aren’t getting what you are trying to convey.
Smile & stay confident. Remember, you are the professional & they already feel you know more than them just like you feel when the doctor is talking things over with you after a visit, so don’t go overboard trying to prove that.
Have fun & it will get better each time.

9 Likes

Great reply!

1 Like

Thank you a lot for the advice! Good idea I will definitely walk around with them that’s a great idea that would also calm my nerves a bit rather then just sitting down with them and trying to explain things. I’m confident (not over confident) in my ability’s just ready to focus and learn my communication skills.

On my first I did not have the client present so I called them and just got the highlights of the report. I listened to any concerns and the one question that seemed to be important to them is what defects should they ask the seller to fix and what was minor enough to overlook for the time being. That is a judgment call how you respond to that (though we know what our boundaries are!). You got this!

1 Like

Oh! And I got chastised for not either sending the report to the agent or asking the client to make sure they were in the loop. Lesson learned

I never send the report to Realtor unless client ask me to send it to them. The report is for the client and client only; they pay for it.

7 Likes

They dont know its your first one. Just relax and discuss the house.

1 Like

That was what I told them. But apparently what happened is that the client failed to get with the agent within the specified timeframe allowed to negotiate repairs based on the report. Tricky.

Grace and Peace
Devin Schultz

3D’s Property Inspections, LLC

IMO… that is the Agents fault, not yours. If they can’t maintain communication with their client throughout this most important process, that is on them.
Note: I have also had many a client that did not want the agent to have a copy of the report until after they had time to go through it and make their decisions about it. Don’t know why, but that is their decision and right to make.

3 Likes

I think you’ll be ok!! Remember what you learned about the pre inspection and the post inspection. And you can always go to the videos and just follow what the inspectors are doing during those times. Also do more mock inspections so you’ll have the confidence to do more inspections. The mock sometimes relaxes you because it gives you the feeling of been there and done that. Make sure to listen and learn from your client. They most times tell you there concerns and or wants/must haves. The check lists forms and mock inspection form I still use. Then I get home and transfer it to the online fillable form. I spend less than 15 mins on the pre and post walk around only highlighting the trouble areas/concerns. Like I said before you’ll be ok. And You tube has full inspection videos up. Just a thought. Hit me up if you need too. Good luck my friend!!! Have fun!!!

4 Likes

At the end of the inspection I show them the pictures on my camera of the issues I have found and answer any question they may have.

You’re right Jeff. Definitely not contesting that in any way.
What I’m discovering though is that real estate agents can be very
vindictive and don’t get over grudges with you very easily. It
seems like even though you don’t work for them, they definitely
have an influence on whether you get business through them or
not. It’s like a dance, but I don’t necessarily like the music
:slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s exactly why in over 22 years I’ve never catered to agents. Most are only PT and gone faster than the average inspector (less than 1.5 vs 3 years). That is not to say I don’t have any agent referrals, just that I don’t take their shit, and the ones concerned for their clients welfare refer to me often based upon quality of work and client satisfaction.

6 Likes

So how do you break through all that crap and start getting
customers? It is amazing how closed off the agents here seem to
be to putting me on their lists. I’ve advertised on FB,
Instagram, Twitter, and have a great website that is listed on the
front page when you search for home inspectors in our area…
yet, no business!!!

1 Like

I go to there offices and introduce myself and give them 1st Pro Inspection ink pens, letter openers, a bunch of brochures and a copy of “Now That You’ve Had A Home Inspection” book branded with 1st Pro Inspection on it…
And I usually check back every couple of months.

1 Like

Michael,
Everyone gets nervous in the beginning. Here is my two cents worth of advice:

• Develop an inspection pattern - For example, I always start on the outside and go counter-clockwise (anal I know) at least twice. Once from a distance to see the big picture then a second time up close to look at smaller details. I finish up with the roof.

• Interior inspection - I start at the front door again going counter-clockwise on the main floor, then upper floors and finally the basement, if there is one. NEVER skip something thinking you will remember to go back, inspect it while your there. Don’t get distracted by running all over the house answering buyers questions politely say you will answer their questions when you get to that room. If you randomly jump all over the house, I guarantee you will miss something.

• Attics & Crawlspaces - If the house has a basement I save the attic for last. If it has a crawlspace I do the attic then save the crawlspace for last.

• If you see something you don’t understand take pictures and document model numbers, serial numbers, etc. and look up the information when you get back. I have been inspecting for 25 years and I still have to do some additional research when writing some reports.

• Document thermostat settings BEFORE you change it and be sure to reset it back BEFORE you leave. Make a separate checklist to remind you of these before leaving the property. Turn out all the lights and double check all the doors are locked. Some buyers are doing other things while your inspecting and may unlock a door in a room you already inspected.

• If the seller is present, be careful what you say to your client. Saying something negative about the house is like saying their grandchild is ugly, they take it personal. You can spot these sellers because they follow you around like a duckling trying to make excuses for any issue you find. I always tell my client before going in, if the seller is home I will save my comments until done and discuss the issues outside or in some cases, I arranged to meet them somewhere off-site.

• Always take extra clean shoes when you go inside. I even had one seller follow me around and vacuum up my footprints in her white carpet!

• My final advice is to be calm, no matter how big the house is take it slow. Like eating an elephant one bite at a time. Take several photos, you will be surprised how may times I needed to go back and verify the condition of an item and to document the condition of the house at the time of the inspection. On average I take about 300 photos of every house. On average only 20 to 30 go in the report.

10 Likes

Michael, if you need time at the end to get you shi t together, just say “I’m going to get a drink of water and and take a quick break, then we’ll go over the report” and retreat to your truck to get you stuff together. YMMV

1 Like

To get customers, I do what Roy does. I also place small service ads in my township and surrounding townships local magazines, about $350.00 for 6 months.
Randy is correct about establishing a pattern. I am also a relatively new HI and keeping the same pattern keeps from missing areas. (I do mine clockwise, however!)

2 Likes