Flex hose connected to Gas Log?

Does there have to be specific flex hose for connecting to a gas log ?

I believe it would have to be a steel flex hose. as an aluminum hose may melt under high heat. a small magnet would determine if its steel or not.

1 Like

Can be used if it is the proper pipe depending on manufacturer and local code. Not to be used for wood burning.

Thanks everyone …

I guess at first look the dust looked like ashes, looked like they were burning wood on using the gas. But then I zoomed in and saw it was just soo much dust. would recommend it being cleaned before use, or the dust may cause a large fire ball in there.

I’ve never seen an aluminum flex. Many years ago they were brass. Today they are stainless steel. I’ve never seen a steel flex. A magnet would not work on a stainless steel flex.

1 Like

I still see these occasionally. There is a CPSC safety recall for the brass appliance connectors. They had an unsafe propensity for cracking.

1 Like

http://www.gasflex.com/. Here it shows aluminum gas flex hose. And a magnet will work on stainless steel.

Depending on the grade of stainless. The more nickel, the less the magnetic attraction. I hold the magnet lightly like a pendulum, it will pull slightly towards high grade stainless, harder for low grade stainless and not at all towards aluminum.

1 Like

That Gas Flex is used as distribution gas piping not an appliance connector as in the OP. The two types of piping have very different applications.

1 Like

So is the brass connector on this a problem?

1 Like

Looks like that connector is leaking and on fire. So I would say yes.

2 Likes

Plus it needs to be kinked a LOT MORE where it transitions from hard pipe. LOL!

1 Like

We could all use a little more kink I suppose, LOL. But that is a good catch Larry. These hoses have bend radius restrictions.

1 Like

That was the tip of the iceberg in a house of horrors. I know we’re getting a little off base here but always wanted to share this. A flip that was supposedly ready to move in. All of the crap would take too long to go into but this is one of my favorites of all time. Don’t have any idea what the intention was except maybe keep the mice out? Under the sink. No bullshit.

This is the newest type of GFCI… Mandatory in most localities for when installed near leaking plumbing, it makes it trip faster because the metal tape shortens the path to the plug when sprayed with water. The packaging tape helps protect and seal the wall from the leak.

This reminded me of under the sink of the house of horrors I had…

CAREFUL!..That is the result of a feral cat inbred with a skunk. LOL!