FLIR i5 & i7

New to Thermal and considering one of these two cameras. I would like any advice experienced Thermal Imaging users may be willing to give. :wink:

Waste of money.

First of all…I guess the question is WHY are you getting into the thermal infrared profession? I am not trying to talk you out of it. But just more details the better in guiding you. In todays market I would choose a camera with no LESS than 320X240 dpi. and that would be the minimum resolution.

If your looking to break into an industry or to improve you services, why start at the bottom and continue to play catch up with others?

Hey Guys,

I want to add something to my HI buisness that is not an option in my market.

I intend to use it to locate hidden moisture intrusion sources, missing insulation, etc. Generally related to improving basic HI.

Price is a consideration. Catchup may not be an issue, if I see the rewards for the investment.

If these cameras are not your choice, what is?

I presently have the Fluke TiR32. I enjoy it very much. I also have a Fluke TiR1 as a back-up. I hear Flir puts out a great product as well, just never used one. They are a great addition to the profession. But as with anything, education is key.

If your going to Gainesville in a couple of week I can bring them if you want.

Wow, the two cameras you mentioned can range from 4-9K. What are you able to do with these that you cant with a Fluke TiS or i7? Is it just the resolution? Our these better suited for comercial applications.

Not sure about Gainesville, I will let you know as it gets closer. I would like very much to be able see them used.

Sounds like you really need to invest in some education before you buy a camera. The education is going to cost as much or more than an I5 or I7. You will be very sorry if you try to get into this the cheap way.

Thank you Gentleman for the advice.

It is clear that education is more important than the camera.

I have been talking to John McKenna about classes and cameras.

Now, I feel like I’m at least headed in the right direction.

I took the online course from Infraspection Institute. Well presented and gave me the confidence and perspective to I understood what I needed to consider as I use the IR camera as the powerful tool it is. The labs and supplies were very helpful, but being able to do it from home was a big plus. To get the most out of the course, you need to rent or borrow a IR camera though.

You have to pay to learn and I want you to remember your questions here after you have been in the business for a couple of years. You get what you pay for. I don’t have time for another pissing contest but you really need to do your homework before getting into this business???

Definitely invest in basic training first, hardware second. You will be better equipped to know what you want to accomplish so that you can select an appropriate imager for your business.

I strongly advise you to research your prospective training provider just as much as you would research imager makes/models before purchasing hardware. I would go with someone who’s certification is recognized and who is acknowledged to have expertise within the thermography community. Don’t let anyone try to convince you that these people don’t know how train you to do building inspections.

Having good credentials will boost your income. Better to be competent at what you do and get paid for it than go cheap and have to give it away as a freebie with your home inspection because you don’t have a compelling reason for clients to be willing to pay you for it.

If you want a great online course for home inspections these guys have been providing training for over 30 years. You get a great NACHI discount and this course qualifies for the NACHI Certified requirements too!!!
http://www.infraspection.com/courses_DL_building_inspector.html

I use the Flir E40BX and it is a great camera… Take a look at those.

Here are two videos and specs to the FLIR E40 series

FLIR E40BX
FLIR E40

As Andrew stated they are great cameras and a big time bang for the buck.

JJ