floor dip and soft area

Originally Posted By: kdolin
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey there, Florida home Two story Townhouse center unit, concrete exterior walls, framed second floor.

Walking across the floor toward the window I noticed the dresser shaking quit a bit as i walked. the floor had an obvious rise abou 48 inches from the wall and the area at and beyond the rise was stable. pressing with my feet in the area of depression was progessivly softer and there is obvious movement.

There are some water stains in the garage ceiling directly below this room, not large areas but several smaller ones. also there is a water stain below the window sill and directly above the garage door in the ceiling and wall.

the doors close fine no cracks in the drywall in ceiling or walls.

I need a recomendation on how to present this to the customer and on the side not related to the inspection report, your opinions.

thanks

Originally Posted By: tschwalbe

What were the readings with your moisture meter?

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Kenneth, write your findings up as you stated. Report signs of leaks, if you have moisture readings you may wish to call them active leaks.

Leaks can be very tricky to diagnose, could be flashing at windows or roof, could be plumbing or even faulty HVAC.

If you can not be sure where the moisture is coming from recommend further evaluation by a general contractor.

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: kdolin

tschwalbe wrote:
What were the readings with your moisture meter?

There was no active moisture in any of these areas, the floor did not vary at all throughout the second floor.
The leaks appear to be old. and not active. the owner had receipts for a plumping invstigation in 2002 but it was not specific, 130 bucks to remove some sink plumbing and check for drain leak.
It does not appear to be an active problem but its the residules that concern me. I want to present it corectly, I dont want to over or understate the situation.

Originally Posted By: gporter

I think his receipts answered your questions.

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com