Floor Joist, Gap, on Foundation Wall

Per this picture, there is a gap between the foundation wall and joist. It’s my understanding that there should be a seal between the wall and sill plate and then a rim joist attached.

Please advise and thanks,

Mike

The older construction did not use a gasket (and termite shield in areas where required). If it’s drafty it can be sealed with spray foam. The older galvanized piping to the left would be more of a concern.

2 Likes

Thank you Simon.

Is that a (single) Floor Joist or a (double) Band Joist or a floor joist with a (hidden) Rim Joist?

Galvanized steel water lines throughout the home?

1 Like

Its doubled, Band Joist, I think Jeff. It, the Band Joist, runs parallel with corresponding floor joists.
Look to the right of the image.

Mike. Are the rails?

The band joist has to be beyond the one on the interior in the photo and mustn’t have a sill plate to boot.

Marcel. Would it not be rim joists require sills plates and when did sill plates become a building regulation?
Looking forward to your answer.
Best.
Robert

For as long as framing of exterior walls started. Hell, I don’t know.

I agree with Simon… :smile:

String from an old thread.

Since the ICC was adopted by states, at different times, the requirement of ‘sill plates would be based upon any local / state requirement’ when the home was built.
What is more important is not code per se but rather the condition of the band joist (rim board, header board, etc.) and joist themselves.

As several posters acknowledged, I rarely see plates.
During my time stick framing, bottom plates where installed, single never doubled, when drawings provided examples. No frame anchorage required.

Thanks Marcel.
Best to you and yours.

Guys… my post was intended to get the OP to View, Observe, Evaluate, and Educate himself on all things inspection related.
Have you all not been paying attention to the plethora of posts he makes and the questions he asks on this MB?
IMO, he should not be inspecting anything until he gets some sort of formal education under his belt. If he has already taken a course, then it has failed him, or he is just not cut out for this line of work!
Think I’m being too hard on him? Go to his profile and read through all his threads started by him.
I wish him the best going forward.

3 Likes

I agree with Simon and Larry. It’s an old house. Just recommend sealing it. But the galvanized plumbing?
Oh boy!

Jeffrey, you see what I see. All I see is a single joist and can’t see what’s behind it. What do you think?

Not Jeff but one could recommend sealing the gap between the bottom of the joist and the wall for a tighter house with less air leakage as an improvement. :smile:

Yes, Larry I think that’s the furthest I should take this and not infer anything else.

1 Like

So, without actually seeing a problem, why are you assuming there is a problem?
This is the basis for ‘alarmist’ reporting!

Jeffrey, my inquiry was information more than defect purpose.

1 Like

JJ has always tried to make inspectors think for themselves.
I have been a subject of his intent & thanked him!

1 Like

You were the one on-site. Only you would have any definitive answers. All we can do is assume what is what without a factual description of what was there. Did you probe past the ‘gap’ to gauge the depth of the space behind, or…???

I assume you have a hidden (unseen) Rim joist behind that floor joist. There is no way that visible floor joist closes off the substructure, especially with only (maybe) a 1/2" bearing above that foundation wall.