Florida DBPR Seeks Your Input for Lic Alternative

Originally Posted By: jbushart
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Quote:

The Department of Business and Professional Regulation is scheduled hold the first of four meetings regarding alternatives-to-licensure in the areas of home inspection, mold assessment and mold remediation.

On June 22, Gov. Jeb Bush vetoed House Bill 315, enacted by the 2005 Legislature, relating to building assessment and remediation.

In a veto message, Bush said more consumer protection is needed for these fields and directed DBPR to work with various stakeholders prior to the 2006 legislative session to develop proposed legislation.

Each of the four meetings will focus on a particular aspect of building assessment and remediation and the starting point for the discussions will be the alternative-to-licensure approach in HB 315, a release said.

The workshop topic for the August 16th meeting is alternatives to licensure and consumer protection in the field of home inspection.

A call-in number is 850-921-6623. All building assessment and remediation stakeholder meetings will be held at DBPR's main office in Tallahassee, starting at 9:00 a.m.

The department's mission is to protect the health, safety and welfare of those doing business in Florida. DBPR licenses nearly one million businesses and professionals ranging from real estate agents, architects, veterinarians and funeral homes to contractors and cosmetologists.

? 2005 American City Business Journals Inc.

This is today, folks. Sorry for the delay in getting this to you but the Florida news does not travel fast to Missouri.

This is your opportunity to directly make input that could affect your future in the home inspection business. Don't wait until the bill reaches the legislature to start sharing your thoughts. Talk to the people as they draft it.

Good luck.

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: rbennett

Did any one from NACHI show up (if not why not??)

Is there a web site to give us heads up and results to what is going on with these people???

rlb

Originally Posted By: gbell

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

The muscling of Representatives and Senators works only because they are elected and must give an audience to all of their constituents, regardless of what they believe to be the best course of action.

The DPBR on the other hand is appointed by the Governor and its members are free to invite and work with whomever they want without the pressure of having to cater to the lowest common denominator or deal with voices outside of Florida if they so choose.

The bully-pulpit NACHI effectively used in the past will no longer work to sway the forces that have now been given the task of creating HI legislation in Florida. Success for NACHI will need to rely on a new strategy of reconciliation and cooperation, mere size or loudness of voice will never trump the DPBR's responsibility to consumer protection, the only entity the DPBR is required to be fair to is the public.

Once again NACHI has been graciously invited to be represented within the Alliance... Let's hope our leadership recognizes this olive branch for what it is and nobly rises to meet the challenge.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

The workshop said “alternatives to licensing”

Should we read something into this??

Time to call my rep and read him the following:

On February 2nd, 2005, President Bush addressed our great nation and in his State Of The Union speech said "To make our economy stronger and more competitive, America must reward, not punish, the efforts and dreams of entrepreneurs. Small business is the path of advancement, especially for women and minorities, so we must free small businesses from needless regulation and protect honest job-creators"

We are not Doctors, Pilots, or barbers

We are contracted to give an opinion and this can not be regulated. As a consultant I am advising my clients on how they should work with home defect issues. I don't see how regulation will hurt this part on my business, but it might hurt the simple inspection part.

Regulation is not needed and bad regulation like we had last year had to be stopped at the top. Since it passed both houses with no major opposition there should be no problem to over ride the gov's veto. Which I hopes does not happen.

Another point - A Florida NACHI Spanish speaking chapter has been formed and I would hope that any regulation that might be introduced would be friendly to HI's who are trying to address this very important part of our Florida home industry. (I am thinking that my contract should have a Spanish ver.)

rlb
home inspector
home consultant

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

RLB wrote:
Did any one from NACHI show up (if not why not??)

Richard I was able to attend the meeting yesterday, but did so only as an observer, I discussed at great length the issues raised and the contect of the discussions with Jay Schwartz via phone this morning.

I know Jay intends to attend future meetings over the next few weeks, and I have offered my assistance should he require it.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Gerry

Thank you for the reply

Too bad you were only an observer, but at least we know what is going on.

Since you are the only one with first hand knowledge, could you give us the hi points of this work shop??

I am glad that you have gotten the information to Jay so he can pass it on up the ladder to NACHI headquarters. This is how the system works. Now since it was an open meeting can you bring the rest of us up to date?

Do you have the dates and times for any additional workshops?

Who were the major players and is the general flow towards "alternatives"

Thanks again for the information that you were there

rlb

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

Richard:

Slide over here for the scoop.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=14753

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

Quote:
Orlando Business Journal - 10:52 AM EDT Wednesday
State workshops focus on regulating home inspection, mold remediation
The Department of Business and Professional Regulation just held the first of four meetings on alternatives to licensure in the areas of home inspection, mold assessment and mold remediation.

On June 22, Gov. Jeb Bush vetoed House Bill 315, enacted by the 2005 Legislature, relating to building assessment and remediation.

In a veto message, Bush said more consumer protection is needed for these fields and directed the Department of Business and Professional Regulation to work with various interested parties before next year's legislative session to develop a possible new law.

The meetings will focus on a particular aspect of building assessment and remediation, and the starting point for the discussions will be the alternative-to-licensure approach in HB 315. The workshop topic for the Aug. 16 meeting was alternatives to licensure and consumer protection in the field of home inspection.

All the building assessment and remediation meetings will be held at the Department of Business and Professional Regulation's main office in Tallahassee at 9 a.m. A call-in number is (850) 921-6623.

The department's mission is to protect the welfare of those doing business in Florida, and it licenses nearly 1 million businesses and professionals ranging from real estate agents, architects, veterinarians and funeral homes to contractors and cosmetologists.

? 2005 American City Business Journals Inc.

--

www.monachi.org

There is another open forum scheduled for Tuesday, 8/23/05. The agenda is centered on mold identification and remediation, but Richard Bennet (who has contacted the department) has been told that HI related issues can be brought up, as well.

If you cannot be there in person, you may monitor or make your thoughts known by telephone. The number is 850-921-6623.

--

www.monachi.org

Just received a phone call bringing an error to my attention

Correction to post it is not Monday but Tuesday. Glad I did not make a speed run to the meeting to find out that I was a day early.

DATE AND TIME: August 23, 2005, 9:00 a.m.

WORKSHOP TOPIC: Alternatives to licensure and consumer protection in the field of mold assessment. Conference phone number: 850.921.6623 or Suncom 291.6623.

DATE AND TIME: August 30, 2005, 9:00 a.m.

WORKSHOP TOPIC: Alternatives to licensure and consumer protection in the field of mold remediation. Conference phone number: 850.921.6623 or Suncom 291.6623.

DATE AND TIME: September 6, 2005, 9:00 a.m.

WORKSHOP TOPIC: Alternatives to licensure and consumer protection in the field of mold inspection or testing. Conference phone number: 850.414.1711 or Suncom 994.1711.

With much egg on my face

rlb

Originally Posted By: mwinkelholz

Florida DBPR should use the same requirements that New York just passed.

mwinkelholz wrote:
Florida DBPR should use the same requirements that New York just passed.

Tell them. They are meeting right now.

--

www.monachi.org

Jay

Are you going to put out on this thread as an update on what some of the high points were today at the work shop? I forgot to tell you that you did a very good job on the first one - good job.

IMO both the HI and mold bills are still bad.

If we are all still acting as individuals and small groups then lets get some more general ideas thrown around. I am sure that there are more HI's that have something to say.

I don't think the NY bill is the model. The field training is going to be too limited and thus a waste of time and $$. I can see 100 heavy students on the roof of a house under instruction on roof soft spots. Web based House of H*** like Nick is working on is the way to go.

Enough of my soap boxing --

rlb

Richard:

Todays discussion was on non-contractural remediation. Home inspection was not discussed. Larry Cerro was in attendance.

--
Jay Schwartz
MAB - Member

DATE AND TIME: September 6, 2005, 9:00 a.m.

WORKSHOP TOPIC: Alternatives to licensure and consumer protection in the field of mold inspection or testing. Conference phone number: 850.414.1711 or Suncom 994.1711.

rlb

I heard that there is a new proposal concerning licensing home inspectors in Florida. The DBPR is considering a two tiered system for licensing.

1. Home Inspector- Requirements
Similar to the amended HB-315

2. Certified Home Inspector- Requirements
500 fee paid inspections
Pass a recognized test
3 years in business

It sounds like they heard about NACHI?s CMI program.

Nick have you been lobbying here for such a system?

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

gbell wrote:
I heard that there is a new proposal concerning licensing home inspectors in Florida. The DBPR is considering a two tiered system for licensing.

1. Home Inspector- Requirements
Similar to the amended HB-315

2. Certified Home Inspector- Requirements
500 fee paid inspections
Pass a recognized test
3 years in business

It sounds like they heard about NACHI?s CMI program.

Nick have you been lobbying here for such a system?

Hi Greg:
Where have you been hiding? Have not seen a post in weeks.

BTW, thanks for starting rumors. How about some facts, like your source. (I heard this, I heard that) does not benefit the NACHI membership. Posting (I know for a fact from a conversation from xx or a written proposed bill from xx) is what the membership wants to hear.

For the record:

The tiered system was discussed during the workshops I was involved in. It would not be signed by the Governor. HB 315 will only weaken, not be any more stringent than the final version passed by the legislature, then vetoed by the Governor.

We will have legislation this year. Until we see a proposed bill while the legislature is in session, all you have is rumor. Thanks Greg for the input.

--
Jay Schwartz
MAB - Member

If that is the case then I will not waste my time with sharing info that I hear. I forgot that you know it all.

Take care Mr NACHI

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

gbell wrote:
If that is the case then I will not waste my time with sharing info that I hear. I forgot that you know it all.

Take care Mr NACHI

If what is the case Greg. Will you reveal your source? Will you reveal documentation?

I am not looking for a title Greg, I am looking for the truth.

--
Jay Schwartz
MAB - Member