Florida Licensing Thread

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

1) To allow the Members of NACHI to learn about any proposed, pending, or current legislation that may have an impact on their business.

2) This thread is for professional and ethical posts only. I have asked this thread to be monitored.

3) In the event there is thread drift or an attempt to insert personal attacks, I have asked that those posts be deleted from the thread.

4) The purpose of the thread is to allow Florida NACHI members to openly communicate their feelings about licensing, registration, certification, or trade practice laws that may be introduced during the next Florida Legislative session or any communication being conducted with State officials or departments.

5) It is imperative that we respect each other's opinions. Please note that there will be some NACHI inspectors that may or may not be in favor of government or industry involvement.

6) It is my responsibility to report to John Bowman and Blaine Wiley, your questions, comments, efforts, and proposals.
Your Agenda is My Agenda.

7) If you wish not to post and want your communication to be kept confidential, you may either PM me or email me at FLORIDANACHI@Bellsouth.net

I strongly encourage all Florida NACHI members to get involved in this thread. Please visit as often as possible.

I look forward to working for everyone as your Legislative Committee Member.

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: jbushart

Jay,

Normally I agree with you, but not this time.

Every home inspector in America has something at stake in every HI law that is formulated, since legislatures often look at other states for precedent when writing laws. Limiting your discussion, IMO, does an injustice to other NACHI members.

Additionally, this is a political topic and politics do not always allow for kind words and warm fuzzies.

Accordingly, out of respect for your desire to keep this thread suited for your purpose, I am providing an alternative thread that will NOT be monitored or edited, on this same subject for anyone who wishes to join in on the discussion.

Here it is: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=14757

With this alternative, no one will be left out.

Let the games begin...

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: gbell

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

jbushart wrote:
Jay,

Normally I agree with you, but not this time.

Every home inspector in America has something at stake in every HI law that is formulated, since legislatures often look at other states for precedent when writing laws. Limiting your discussion, IMO, does an injustice to other NACHI members.

Additionally, this is a political topic and politics do not always allow for kind words and warm fuzzies.

Accordingly, out of respect for your desire to keep this thread suited for your purpose, I am providing an alternative thread that will NOT be monitored or edited, on this same subject for anyone who wishes to join in on the discussion.

Here it is: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=14757

With this alternative, no one will be left out.

Let the games begin...

Jim:

No more games. The purpose of this thread is not to stymie debate. It is a forum for professional discussion, not personal attacks.

Greg:
I agree with your some of your statement. ASHI & FABI came to the SE Florida meeting as ambassadors in good faith. Reaching out to me and NACHI to work together in a professional non-confrontational manner unlike what transpired, for good reason I might add, over the past few months.

Jim:
You and I may disagree, however, your involvement is most welcome as much as any other public poster. Remember this is not a members-only thread. The Florida Inspectors cannot afford anymore unprofessional mudslinging if real work is going to be accomplished.
I have asked Joey Cabellero and Jeff Rothberg, as the SE Legislative Committee Member for NACHI, to be included on their Florida Home Inspector Alliance Board. They acknowledged there is a need to have me there. We are making more progress by having civil and professional discussion vs. Name calling and personal attacks.

For those that know me, you will find I take my profession and position very seriously and it is my goal to collect as much information from the Florida membership and report my findings to John and Blaine.

This is the most critical time in the Florida Home Inspection Industry. NACHI has the opportunity to have true involvement in the legislative process along with ASHI,FABI, and NAHI. We as an association cannot and should not have deliberate personal attacks get in the way of progress.

--
Jay Schwartz
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

jschwartz1 wrote:
I have asked Joey Cabellero and Jeff Rothberg, as the SE Legislative Committee Member for NACHI, to be included on their Florida Home Inspector Alliance Board. They acknowledged there is a need to have me there. We are making more progress by having civil and professional discussion vs. Name calling and personal attacks.

I truly wish you success with this endeavor, but if your personal beliefs for not supporting the original HB 315 bill were due to it being too restrictive, then you will have a much more difficult road ahead of you next year when a real licensing bill is introduced by the DPBR.

I believe we have already seen the bill that would have favored most NACHI members and when given the opportunity, we failed to support it. What will be sent down from the DPBR is guaranteed to be consumer protection oriented and require proven HI accountability.

The Alliance is consistent in their support of home inspector accountability, standardized mandatory education, proctored testing and consumer protection, NACHI has yet to adopt these tenants with the same strict adherence as other HI associations have. That being said... It is easy to see that you may be placed in a precarious position that has previously rekindled the fires of name calling and personal attacks. Plain & simple we can expect the next HI bill will have teeth, will be much harder to like and as in the past be supported by FABI and the Alliance, where that places you and NACHI is yet to be established.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Jay,

Do you have the blessing of NACHI's president and ED to represent the association in this alliance? If not, it is no alliance.

--

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

James, this time there is no alliance as such from my understanding, rather the DPR is working under instruction from the Govenors office. to that end the DPR has reached out to individuals who they have recognized as having valid input into the future debate.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

jschwartz1 wrote:
[I have asked Joey Cabellero and Jeff Rothberg, as the SE Legislative Committee Member for NACHI, to be included on their Florida Home Inspector Alliance Board. They acknowledged there is a need to have me there.

--

www.monachi.org

James:

As the Legislative Commitee member for the SE, I would be the go to person as it relates to any board. I have been given that vote of confidence and assignment by Blaine Wiley.

That being said, I like the way this thread is going and I look forward to seeing more posts with this spirit.

--
Jay Schwartz
MAB - Member

meeting is alternatives to licensure and consumer protection in the field of home inspection.

A call-in number is 850-921-6623. All building assessment and remediation stakeholder meetings will be held at DBPR's main office in Tallahassee, starting at 9:00 a.m.

The department's mission is to protect the health, safety and welfare of those doing business in Florida. DBPR licenses nearly one million businesses and professionals ranging from real estate agents, architects, veterinarians and funeral homes to contractors and cosmetologists.

? 2005 American City Business Journals Inc.

[/quote]

This is today, folks. Sorry for the delay in getting this to you but the Florida news does not travel fast to Missouri.

This is your opportunity to directly make input that could affect your future in the home inspection business. Don't wait until the bill reaches the legislature to start sharing your thoughts. Talk to the people as they draft it.

Good luck.

--

www.monachi.org

Thanks Jim.

The meeting did take place today and I am waiting for a phone call about what transpired. Had the players involved, notified NACHI vs. telling us about it after the fact, more may have been accomplished prior to the first meeting.

That being said, I am waiting to hear back from Joey Caballero and Jeff Rothberg on the discussion that took place today. If FABI and ASHI are willing to include our position, then we are willing to work side by side. If they want to tell us what we have to agree to then it may not be a viable relationship.

Compromise - "In order to get something, you have to give something up." David Malen

--
Jay Schwartz
MAB - Member

to me.

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: gbell

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: ekartal

For once Jay and I will agree on something here. Jim why don’t you just let Jay and the others in Florida do what they want? Do you have to stick your political enforcer nose into everything ?

Erol Kartal

jschwartz1 wrote:

Compromise - "In order to get something, you have to give something up." David Malen

Jay,

NACHI's position on this, as stated by its President, is simple and clear. I don't see what you would want to give up regarding it. NACHI supports legislation that is not association biased and that does not put anyone out of work. Where do you find room for compromise in that?

--

www.monachi.org

I do not feel it is necessary to debate the italicized portion at this time. This is a summary of what Jeff Rothberg and I discussed and were in pretty much agreement to the other day. As with all relationships, it does take time to grow. We are off to a very good start.

This meeting was by invitation only. I will have news about the meeting in the next 24 hours.

--
Jay Schwartz
MAB - Member

James:

I hold NACHI's position as it is. The other orgs don't. They will need to compromise.

--
Jay Schwartz
MAB - Member

jschwartz1 wrote:

This meeting was by invitation only. I will have news about the meeting in the next 24 hours.

Jay,

The meeting was open to the public. They put out a news release. Who told you it was by invitation only?

--

www.monachi.org

and let them know that they oppose it. This is the phone number that the DBPR published for people who could not attend.

Don't waste any time.

--

www.monachi.org

James:

I am reporting what I was told.

--
Jay Schwartz
MAB - Member