Flush skylight?

I have never ever seen a skylight that is actually flush with the roof surface. Does anybody have any information on something like this? I would assume the edge of the roofing should be fully secured and sealed with caulking or sealant??? which this is not.

if anybody has any further knowledge of these I would greatly appreciate it.

I’d write it up for poor/improper installation. The problem with that installation is poor drainage and water retention. Snow and water will just sit there and wreak havoc with the surrounding roof shingles (flashing?). Let a roofer handle it.

3 Likes

That is screwed up big time. Needs to be repaired to prevent leaks to the interior.

3 Likes

I am thinking it was intended to be vertical mount. I am curious what the rafters look like now.

3 Likes

They doubled down of wanting it to leak with this flashing.

3 Likes

A skylight needs to be raised 4" for safety, last I checked…think firemen.

5 Likes

Agree with Brian. It looks like a makeshift skylight, and the window sash does not look like it was meant to be a skylight?

2 Likes

With roofing, if caulk is the answer, the builder has the wrong answer :-). Caulk does not last in that environment. Flashings do.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the input. I stood and looked at that thing knowing it’s not right but couldn’t put the thought together for some reason.

3 Likes