Foil on Windows

We had foil put on our windows last week what a huge difference in Light and heat .
During the day people can not see in at Night with all the lights on they can see in but not well .
We have a bird feeder 8 inches from the glass neat to see the birds up close .
I came home the house was warm and I took some pictures to show the difference 30 minutes makes .
temp out side 93°F
temp inside No air on 80°F
I put two pieces of rug one behind Kitchen window with Foil
One behind patio door no foil .
We did not do the patio door because it has venioation Blinds in side the doors and aslo a awning over the doors .
I raised the awning to get a proper comparison .
#6971 Kitchen counter with foil
#6981 Kitchen counter with foil
#6872 patio door no foil
#6980 Patio door no foil
#907 bird behind foil

100_6972.JPG

100_0907.JPG

100_6971.JPG

100_6980.JPG

100_6981.JPG

Windows before and after .
#900 lower window no foil
#911 same window with foil Day time you can not see in .
We got a soft silve as it does not show from out side .
Paid just about $800;00 for complete home main floor and basement

100_0900.JPG

100_0911.JPG

What direction(s) do(es) the window(s) face?

None face south the ones you see in second picture face east and the Patio Kitchen face west . East windows have a huge Blue spruce for protection . west windows Have a high set of cedar protection for late afternoon sun .
The bed roome face both east and west

Do you plan to remove the foil in the Winter months?

No I am led to believe I will loose some solar heat but also I believe I will not loose the Radient heat from inside the home in the winter so the gain loss is not a huge difference.
. Will Be interesting to see .
I have two friends who have done this a few years ago and they are pleased .
. This is done on many Office buildings windows and stores around here.
At $800;00 a pop no way is it coming off.
Roy

Wow. I guess not.

OK James now tell me your thoughts , Windows subject to fail ?? or what have you heard . I am just in the process of putting in a sprinkler for the property . Cost more then the windows .
I like toys I have not cut the grass in 5 years My friend Robie does it all I have to trim a bit

Well, strictly from reading your posts, I am understanding the foil to be reflecting radiant heat away from the home. I am thinking that on a cold winter day, that same radiant heat would be beneficial.

I am thinking that this was your purpose for not placing them on the windows with Southerly exposure … but I am wondering if the windows facing East and West would not be wise to exclude as well.

I have no data on this … but am just kinda thinking out loud. I have a huge window that faces East that I shade in the summer but depend upon in the winter as a good source for indoor heat.

WE notice a huge difference now The AC does not work on high as much even though we are in a heat wave here .
The winter radiant heat is lost yes but the inside radiant heat is kept inside so days we loose a bit evening and nights we gain a bit .
I am told winter is close to a balance .
I expect my attic will be cooler in the summer when the solar collector goes on .
Having a pretty tight attic and 17 inches of insulation helps also .

Good info will let you know how we feel next year… Roy

Roy … have you seen this?

Thanks Jim good information .
Great to see ,many Homies learn much from this Forum it has helped me a lot with the information given by others .

I wonder how long till it is perfected .

Well over three years have gone by and we have not had any concerns .
I would do it again for sure .
very satisfied … Roy