Foundation bolts...what say you?

Any comments? Crawl space foundation wall. Right? Wrong? Dunno?

IMGP3296.JPG

IMGP3284.JPG

IMGP3294.JPG

Probably alringht Joe if that is not a bearing wall with any type of uplift or lateral reactions.
Typically, the concrete floor would have been pured over the brick wall with the anchor bolts cast in that. :slight_smile:

Sorry if the picture wasn’t clear. It’s a pier and curtain wall foundation (crawl space). All photos are the perimeter foundation wall. It certainly is a bearing wall. Two pics are from a house under construction beside the one I inspected. Same builder.

P.S. The purpose of foundation anchorage has nothing to do with bearing. Is is to prevent the house from moving off the foundation wall during high winds or seismic events.

Then I state the last sentence of the post above. :slight_smile:

Shouldn’t the bolts have been anchored into the concrete and not the masonry? I imagine that the brick is a veneer and tied into the concrete with ties, which aren’t going to be good at resisting lateral loads.

We have a winner!

"2012 IRC R403.1.6 Foundation anchorage. Sill plates and walls supported directly on continuous foundations shall be anchored to the foundation in accordance with this section. Wood sole plates at all exterior walls on monolithic slabs, wood sole plates of braced wall panels at building interiors on monolithic slabs and all wood sill plates shall be anchored to the foundation with anchor bolts spaced a maximum of 6 feet (1829 mm) on center. Bolts shall be at least 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) in diameter and shall extend a minimum of 7 inches (178 mm) into concrete or grouted cells of concrete masonry units . A nut and washer shall be tightened on each anchor bolt. There shall be a minimum of two bolts per plate section with one bolt located not more than 12 inches (305 mm) or less than seven bolt diameters from each end of the plate section. Interior bearing wall sole plates on monolithic slab foundation that are not part of a braced wall panel shall be positively anchored with approved fasteners. Sill plates and sole plates shall be protected against decay and termites where required by Sections R317 and R318. Cold-formed steel framing systems shall be fastened to wood sill plates or anchored directly to the foundation as required in Section R505.3.1 or R603.3.1."

I’ll take the prize money in giant check form please.