Foundation cracks

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I did an inspection recently where the home had fallen out of escrow because of foundation cracks. I had the privilege of seeing one of my major competitor’s reports where he noted the location of all the cracks. This one pictured he did not note anywhere in his report. Why do we get all uppity about a crack but not when someone does something like this? I see HVAC, plumbing, and electrical workers do this kind of damage all the time and no one except me seems to be saying anything about it around here. Am I missing something? Do the HVAC, plumbing, and electrical workers know how to cause damage properly while Mother Nature does not?

![](upload://wDGZiyrgtj5TofubkofTnAwAh9N.jpeg)

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: John Cagliostro

Kirk,

Was the section of concrete on the right side of your photograph actually taken out? I would assume so, but sometimes its hard to determine with 2 dimensional PIX.

John

Originally Posted By: rray

I don’t understand your question John. A section of the wall had been totally destroyed in order to route the ductwork through there. It seems to me that this would much more serious than a 1/4-inch crack.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.