Fun Find - 1951 trusses

Small commercial building in GA. Structural brick walls and this engineered truss system.

18 Likes

Classic pic Brian!! :+1:

4 Likes

Cool pictures, I’ve never seen that style with the bolts like that before.

Thanks for sharing Brian.

4 Likes

Nice craftsmanship!

Thanks, Brian!

4 Likes

Built to last. :+1:

5 Likes

Reminds me of the way they built the Titanic! You know where that went.

4 Likes

That homemade truss system looks newer than 1951 and 1x12 roof sheathing would likely be used during that time. Also, most lumber that has been in hot attic since 1951 typically looks dark brown. Could that have been a flat or low slope roof that was later covered with a gable roof ?

Saw these in a 50’s church a few years ago.

4 Likes

Unlikely in my opinion but anything is possible. My reasoning is this; the brick walls were structural and they formed the gables.

Almost identical. I find that interesting. Of course, yours still has the wood slat roof decking. I think the decking on my project had been replaced with plywood.

Great Pics! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

We do not get too many 1x12’s used at roof decking here in this region. I’ve seen tons of 1x4’s to 1x8s, most common is 1x6s.

This attic does have a 1970s vibe to it and given the plywood decking who knows for sure. But those trusses do vibe 1950’s/60’s. Ive seen iterations of this style in this region in that general era.

Moisture and humidity appear to be an issue in that attic

Agreed. There was no intake ventilation, only outtake roof vents.

Great pics… thanks for sharing. Damn! Those bolts at the gussets ought to do it, right?

2 Likes

Hopefully for another 75 years

2 Likes

Very impressive!!