Garage constructed from 2x4 stacked horizontally

Hey guys wanted to show you what I found today. The home was constructed in 1920, but this was the detached garage I was inspecting.The outer perimeter walls were constructed with 2x4s stacked horizontally. They removed some of the 2x4’s at one side so dogs could get out. What do you guys think?

1 Like

Very creative. I wonder how long that took to build.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have a problem with it as long as they used 6" to 8" spikes that were offset in their nailing pattern to help relieve the bowing of the walls. :smile:

Termite heaven… :hamburger:

1 Like

Untreated lumber in direct contact with concrete and at grade. I’d say rot is very likely. I also think there will be a mighty mess to clean up with a gentle earthquake. No sheathing generally means little shear strength.

JENGA!!!

1 Like

100 yra and still going strong.

It’s interesting that all the pieces are shorts. I didn’t see any pieces longer than 2 or 3 feet.

Darren, I thought the same thing until you posted. Then I started looking more closely and found some quickly and I’m sure there are more but my eyes are getting tired.

And you are correct most are shorts:

1 Like

This is a carpenter or general contractor either saving scraps for years (doesn’t really look like that), or they wound up with a good deal on 2x4 two to four feet longer than they needed for the job, and this is how they utilized the scrap. I think it’s from a single job and wood higher in the wall looks newer because the roof overhang protected it from direct sunlight.

“I got it one piece at a time, and it didn’t cost me a dime” -Johnny Cash

3 Likes

Ground contact is always a concern. However in the north we would consistently see similar conditions with 3 sided log and they are all still standing. There is a Swiss outfit that has modernized this building style, Matt Reisinger did a video on them. It is cool stuff.

Yup, pretty cool building method, Michael! Thanks for sharing. :smile:

I would bet they stored grain in it years ago, we have old elevators/grain storage in the SD. areas. They were built with 2x4 and 2x6 stacked like that.

Interesting tidbit of knowledge, Edward. Thanks! :smile:

My detached cold storage and pump shed are built this way. Both are attached to my shop. Hasn’t moved since 1979.

My first post! Glad to be here.
Walter

Welcome to our forum, Walter. Enjoy, and I hope to see you more often! :smile: