Modular home garage walls, sill and stem wall installation

Are the walls of this garage on a 2020 Champion Skyline modular home installed properly onto the ICF stem wall and sill plate?
The wall where the vehicle door is supposed to go is obviously not cut out properly. My questions pertain to the bottom of the walls where they meet the sill plates. The floor joists were removed, along with part of the center girder along the marriage line. Something doesn’t look proper.

gGgdsh_094
gGgdsh_112
gGgdsh_097
gGgdsh_095
gGgdsh_086
gGgdsh_090
gGgdsh_088
gGgdsh_087
gGgdsh_089

Nobody is saying anything because the whole job looks like a cluster #uck. :flushed:

7 Likes

Surely you jest… :thinking: :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

stooges

8 Likes

a bit harsh don’t You think ? :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

Why are builders obsessed with sheathing a wall vertical? The strength axis of the sheathing is horizontal.

This is what happens when you sheath a wall vertically.
IMG_1006

1 Like

You guys have not been taking your CEU! pictured is advanced framing used to save cost.

Is vertical placement of the sheathing a defective condition?

It keeps the future carpenter employed making all the repairs.

1 Like

It’s what happens when your tool trailer gets broken into and all they leave you with is the sawzall.

2 Likes

is the foundation made of foam? looks like foam, how did they nail into concrete with the cap nails?
how well if the anchor bolts holding to the foam blocks?
Glad its not my house.

Everyone has their own opinion on how to sheath a wall, the strength axis is shown in your pic.

It’s an insulated concrete form (ICF) foundation.

Now I see what it says there. Thank you for pointing that out.

I hope that’s not in a high wind area.

I personally never saw a sill plate stood up on the side with the wall studs half hanging over it. Was that done to gain an extra 4 1/2 inches on the ceiling height :slight_smile:

It’s not a sill plate that’s stood up on its side. The manufacturers call them perimeter joists. It’s new to me, as well. It’s unclear to me how the attached sheathing and their connections at the corners are supposed to be enough to keep the perimeter joists from buckling underneath the weight of the garage. I’m going to be recommending a structural engineer evaluate the wall and foundation installation, as they do now appear to align properly. The sill plates are broken in areas due to an apparent off-centered connection. The original anchor bolts were cut off and some other bolts were used to anchor the sill plates down to the stem wall.

THAT is not GOOD! :roll_eyes: :flushed:

1 Like

Recommending a structural Engineer is likely the best move. Please do add any updates if you get them. Certainly got my curiosity peaked.

1 Like

Here’s the Installation Manual and the Specifications for the modular.

PFS 500031 - Specs.pdf (11.9 MB)
Modular Installation Manual (Skyline Champion).pdf (3.3 MB)

It looks like the Specifications manual recommends that the exterior sheathing be installed vertically.

1 Like