Garage door motor installation

Originally Posted By: evandeven
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Here is a garage door opener that is wired with an extension cord. Sears, who installed this motor, uses this method quite often. The connection between the motor plug and the extension cord is right at the attic access.

![](upload://hfb42qtoa9I85wQlVK4ubGFF56E.jpeg)

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.
I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!
www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: dbush

Eric, at least they were nice enough to paint it so that it blends in well & the buyer didn’t have to always look at the orange cord. icon_biggrin.gif

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Eric,

I am taking it that you frown upon sears using the extension cord for the garage door opener.

Personally I would not tear the wall apart to put a receptacle there (depends). JMO.

Joe Myers

Here is what the previous home owner did in my garage:

Eric Van De Ven

Owner/Inspector

Magnum Inspections Inc.

Joe, You are correct about my feelings about Sears. I once got into a heated argument with one of their “head installers” about the poor installation on another home. A licensed electrician came out and installed the proper outlet and then the homeowner billed Sears. Sears sent them a check after the electrician wrote a letter stating that it was an unsafe installation and they would have been held liable for any damages.

On the house that we are referring to, the attic hatch is right there, the sub panel is right in the garage at the rear wall, there were plenty of spaces for a new breaker and a "pop-in type electric box is fairly inexpensive. The whole job cost about $125.00 for an electrician to do it. On the picture of my garage door opener that is wired to the light fixture, I will fix that one day! I actually have the parts to do it, just a little lazy!

Eric Van De Ven

Owner/Inspector

Magnum Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Eric,

Wiremold to the rescue! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rray

I don’t have a problem with this, and neither does my local AHJ, as long as it is done properly. See my post under “Great Electrician.” “Fastened in place” in the NEC seems to be the key according to my local AHJ. Check with your own local AHJ to see if additional requirements or restrictions apply.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.