When is it OK?

A new home build has two garage door openers. One opener will plug directly into ceiling receptacle, the other opener uses an extension cord. I say permanent wiring is appropriate, builder says no problem along as UL approved cord. I’m always open to learn, when is this OK?

If the opener is plugged into an extension cord, I write it up as “Recommend a licensed Electrician install permanent wiring for the garage door opener”.

If you look in the manufacturers manual, You’ll see clearly that extension cords are not allowed.

An extension cord is NEVER an acceptable alternative to permanent wiring.

Thanks for the information. My thoughts exactly, needed some confirmation. Not wanting to site code, this turns “inspector says”;“builder says”. Client ends up with a less than acceptable condition.

What to do?

As David said, make your recommendation and move on. There is no debate…you made a recommendation.:wink:

Thanks. I’ll reccomend and move on:cool:

**400.8 Uses Not Permitted. **Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings,
suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar
openings
(4) Where attached to building surfaces

Just in case you need a little backup for your builder…:slight_smile:

I would definetly hand that builder the code citation shown by Paul above. It ends your discussion with the builder.

Just because the cord is UL listed does not mean it is approved to be used in this manner.

as David said, use the manufacturer’s literature. It might be more clear and you can avoid using the NEC.

Just for a point of interest I did a little checking. There is no AHJ. There are no county inspections except site approval. The local power board approved the service entrance. I found 3 receptacles without power, I went beyond the scope and removed the cover plate on one the problem was obvious, no wires.

I agree with James & David…get a copy of the Mfg Installation manual and see what it says about extension cords if you need to prove your case any more. Here’s one for a Westinghouse opener, see page 4, step 8, it clearly states “Do Not Use an Extension Cord”.
http://www.westinghouse-home.com/pdf/218962B.pdf

Actually…so in other words if somethings done WRONG and ends up killing someone…CRAP flows downhill until it reaches a source to be sued…

**Authority Having Jurisdiction.

The organization, office, or individual responsible for approving equipment, materials,an installation, or a procedure.

FPN: The phrase “authority having jurisdiction” is used in
NFPA documents in a broad manner, since jurisdictions and
approval agencies vary, as do their responsibilities. Where
public safety is primary, the authority having jurisdiction
may be a federal, state, local, or other regional department
or individual such as a fire chief; fire marshal; chief of a fire
prevention bureau, labor department, or health department;
building official; electrical inspector; or others having statutory
authority. For insurance purposes, an insurance inspection
department, rating bureau, or other insurance company
representative may be the authority having jurisdiction. In
many circumstances, the property owner or his or her designated
agent assumes the role of the authority having jurisdiction;
at government installations, the commanding officer or departmental official
may be the authority having jurisdiction.**

The point of me posting that info is…someone will take responsibility in the LONG run if public safety becomes an issue and if something done incorrectly…code or not…crap falls downhill…for the most part.

So when in LACK of a code enforced area…still follow normal code guidelines is what I would tell all the contractors…

Such a shame in a Civilized World…their are still places where no municple inspections take place for construction…more than not these are the areas with increased construction DEATH rate spikes…

How sad is this? License home inspectors, no city or county inspections, except for the power board inspection of the service entrance.:frowning:

Just how did HI licensing happen in a state where this happens?

Hmmm…ok call the city and tell them they need municiple inspections and I will move to the area…for a 2 year period and set up the program for them…lol…I have reasonable salary demands…lol…then I will leave after 2 years…maybe thats the problem…they have no one who knows what they are doing enough to form the department…

Sounds like a good ole’ boy area…yep it is sad…lives are affected by poor choices like that by a municiple.

Worse yet, I do a visual inspection and so many things can be wrong that endanger the occupants that needed to be inspected prior to dry wall. Second thoughts about inspecting in any area that does not have building inspection during construction.

Simple- Charge more for those areas not covered by building inspectors and permits.

Sounds like a NICHE market to me…I can see me now…if that was MY area…I would be getting into CODE inspections…and selling the fact it SHOULD be in the area but it is not…I would sell the FACT someone needs to WATCHDOG the construction industry in that area…man I could parlay that into ALOT of business…with the MOUTH I have…yep…I can sell private code inspection services…in an area that has none…

Can I enforce anything…nope…but I can keep the buyer from buying a SLOP house…to a greater detail…

There are lots of places that do not have permits and inspectors. They are usually out in the country where people think they are doing quite nicely without some government aparachick telling them what to do.
I doubt they really have much worse statistics than a mobbed up city where inspectors take gifts for good inspection reports and the work costs 10 times as much.
I have seen too many “drive by inspections” to say, with a straight face that the system works.
My wife just caught one of her electrical contractors taking shortcuts like using 14-2 for 3 way switch loops and now they are doing their own inspections on this guy’s work to find out how much trouble they are in. The muni guys missed it totally.