License Requirements for New HIs

I have read Ohio Revised code 4764 pertaining to the license application requirements for a new Home Inspector. I also understand the grandfathered requirements. I have yet to see a license application for a new HI, only grandfathered. Does this mean the requirements for new HIs could possibly change? I would like to start a second career in the industry. Just having a hard time understanding the full requirements for new HIs. InterNACHI has the license requirement listed for Ohio as the grandfathered requirements, which all needed to be done prior to April 5, 2019. Am I interpreting this correctly?

1 Like

Requirements of this provision include:

1. An applicant provides proof of maintaining or being covered by a comprehensive or commercial general liability insurance policy;

2. Understands an applicant can be subject to discipline by the Ohio Home Inspector Board and agrees to comply with all rules adopted by the Board;

3. Completes a criminal history check;

4. Completes a license application and provides proof by signed affidavit that an applicant has met three of the following eight requirements prior to April 5, 2019;

Completed at least 200 home inspections for compensation from clients;

Successfully passed a national home inspector examination within two years from the date an application is submitted to the Division;

Actively operated a home inspection business in Ohio for three years;

Was employed as a home inspector with a home inspector business for 36 consecutive months;

Successfully completed 80 hours of home inspector education;

Currently maintains an active home inspector license in a jurisdiction where the requirements to obtain that license are substantially similar to Ohio’s home inspector license requirements;

Prepared at least five home inspection reports that have been verified as being compliant with standards adopted by a national home inspector organization;

Completed at least one peer review session conducted by a national home inspector organization within one year prior to April 5, 2019.

If you have questions, please contact the Division at 614-644-4100 or webreal@com.state.oh.us.

Thanks for the info Joseph. For experienced HIs that fits, but in my case I have no prior experience.

you just need to have 3 of the 8 requirements.

Does anyone know how or to whom we can submit 5 inspection reports for review? Outside of the mock inspections performed through the InterNachi certification process, is there a way to submit inspection reports to be reviewed by someone at Nachi to comply with one of the options listed as part of Ohio’s new licensing requirements?

1 Like

Assuming you are a member of Internachi, just do your 5 mock inspections using the internachi form and submit them to Internachi.

They will be recorded by internachi. When you fill out your Ohio application you will sign that you have done your 5 mock inspections and they have been reviewed by an approved source

1 Like

This is what I was going to do except that internachi only has you do 4 mock inspections, which would leave me 1 short:( I’ve had a part-time home inspection business the last 5 years but have not done 200 of them to meet that particular licensing requirement. To me, the way the language is written, it seems that the April 2019 date refers to the peer review option, but not the 5 reports option, so I was hoping to ship off 5 past reports to get credit for that somehow, prior to applying for the license

All before April 5th.

I believe that the exact requirements for new inspectors will be published once the state gets their ducks in a row and finalizes everything. The last I saw is that this coming April 2020 is the projected date. Until then, existing inspectors can apply for the grandfathered license as long as they meet the requirements listed. The original date to apply for the grandfathering was Nov. 1st but has been extended due to the program not being ready to be fully implemented yet. I don’t know if the requirements for new inspectors will be the same as the requirements to be grandfathered, or if some additional training will be required. That seems to be unknown at this time.

Where did you read that? That’s not what the statute says. The Division does not have legislative authority.

This is a cluster F and I feel for anyone entering the business or trying to be licensed. May I suggest that you speak to an attorney before doing anything?

Who Know exactly? this is what happens when the govt. gets involved. I’ve was a city worker for 20 plus years (now retired) and nobody at any level of government knows what’s going on with anything. And let’s be honest. I don’t believe for a second that the state of ohio suddenly cares about consumers, they are simply using this new requirement as a new source of revenue.

This was listed on the Division of Real Estate Website:
UPDATE : In a statement issued October 11, 2019, the Division of Real Estate advised that it will not enforce the November 1, 2019 licensing deadline for new home inspectors. The Ohio Home Inspector Program will be on hold until the Division adopts new administrative rules for the program, which are currently pending. The administrative rules, a draft copy of which are available on the Division’s website, set forth the fees, applications, background check, education, experience requirements for licensure. Because the administrative rules have not yet been formally filed for adoption, it is likely the program will not become operational until sometime in 2020.

I also just sent an email with several questions to Ed Woodruff, who was listed as the Division of Real Estate’s Attorney. Hopefully he can give some answers to a lot of the questions that not only I have, but it seems everyone has as well.

Yes, he represents them not you. He can not give you legal advice.

It will cost more than our fees to run the new board. It’s all about real estate agents keeping us in our place.

BUT it is still LAW!

Speeding is illegal even if you don’t get pulled over! Think about it.

I didn’t ask him for personal legal advice. I asked him to clarify the licensing rules, if they are currently in effect or have been pushed back, what the requirements are for individuals who either miss the grandfather deadline, or don’t qualify under the grandfather rules, etc. since no one seems to be 100% sure of them of what’s going on, why not ask the Division directly? I would rather do that and see what he says, than get 25 different interpretations on here.

1 Like

He can give you the Divisions stance on this, he can not clarify this for you.

I’m 100% sure because I can read the statute as filed with the Secretary of State.

You can read the unsigned version posted here: https://www.nachi.org/documents2012/Ohio-Home-Inspector-Legislation.pdf

Section 5. Not later than one hundred eighty days after
the effective date of this act, the Ohio Home Inspector Board
shall adopt the rules the Board is required to adopt under this
act.

Here is a copy of the signed bill:
132-SB-255.pdf (8.3 MB)