Service Entrance Raceway Run Down a Chimney!

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Service Entrance Raceway Run Down a Chimney!

![](upload://nBoV4cn7KdWypgy2pZfXRHZAGGh.gif)

Would this be acceptable this if the entire chimney was filled with concrete, that would put the raceway "outside" of the building -- like it says in the NEC?

Quote:
Conductors shall be considered outside of a building or other structure: Where installed within a building or other structure in a raceway that is encased in concrete or brick not less than 50 mm (2 in.) thick

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Joe:

This looks just enough out of the ordinary that I (as a HI) would recommend evaluation by a licensed electrician. I have never encountered that type of installation before.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Russell:

Good advice. That's the best way around this type of installation for a Home Inspector.

Another item that would identify this installation as a "bootleg" one (no permit) would be temporary connections up at the drip loop. I didn't take the picture, so I don't have the full story here.

![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: ekartal

It may be outside the building but it is exposed to heat. I don’t like drilling holes in the chimney either.

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Regardless of that, I know chimney construction is not designed to support any kind of load like that. Wonder what the span of that cable is? If a tree hit the line, you better hope that connection doesn’t hold or bye-bye chimney! icon_lol.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector