Gas Stub-out Directly Below Electrical Outlet

This just does not look right to me. Is it ok for this gas stub-out to be directly below an exterior outlet?

Looks like if gas line were installed to an appliance you wouldn’t be able to open the outlet box.

5 Likes

No issue. There are requirements for the gas meter clearances, but not for gas hookups.

5 Likes

I agree, would be better to rotate the elbow 90° and not potentially block the receptacle cover.

6 Likes

I would also note the pipe corrosion. It should be constructed of non-corrosive materials or coated.

4 Likes

NG gas line termination clearance.
Electrical equipment near combustible gas equipment

Agreed, and typically this is specific to the gas relief or vent.

4 Likes

I don’t see that gas line as a “GAS DISCHARGE OPENING” however:

6 Likes

Correct, 3 feet from the pressure regulator or any part of the meter is my understanding.

2 Likes

Meter and Regulator
Clearances
Outside Meters
Meters should be installed in accessible
outside locations so they can be easily read,
changed and available for maintenance work.
• Location and Clearance Requirements:
n Maintain a minimum distance of 1 foot
from arc-producing electrical equipment or
other sources of ignition.
WA Gas Meter Clearances Contractor Guide (inspectapedia.com)

Note: **Certain jurisdictions have meter location **
**specifications. Please check with your local **
jurisdiction.

As they say Location, Location, Location. check with your local jurisdiction.

3 Likes

Andrew, it is from the gas discharge opening as indicated by figure B1 above. (NOT any part of the meter).

4 Likes

Evening, Larry. The way I read it is, Rule 2-328 states that ‘the clearance between arc-producing electrical equipment and a combustible gas relief device or vent’ shall be in accordance with the requirements of
CSA B149.1,

Yes, Robert but there is no “GAS RELIEF DEVICE” nor “VENT” in the OP’s picture.

See here:

9 Likes

Larry, you might as well just talk to that brick wall in the photograph :rofl:

12 Likes

Be nice!! He was clearly in the middle of an inspection with the sun in his eye when he looked at the small picture on his Razr V2m cellphone.

4 Likes

I concur, it is a shut off valve. The top of the valve, the discharge opening, the natural gas pipe termination, at the moment, is capped.

CSA B149.1, “Natural gas and propane installation code”, which uses the terms “source
of ignition” and “discharge openings of relief devices”.
The discharge opening is capped is corroded. As well the elbow and nipple threads are corroded leading on to believe a source of NG can leak into the atmosphere inches away from the source of ignition.

That is not considered a discharge opening OF RELIEF DEVICES. The pipe is not a RELIEF DEVICE.

Yes, there is no discharge opening OF RELIEF DEVICES visible in the OP’s picture.

Surely, you can comprehend that.

Sorry, I tried not to call you Shirley.
:grin:
:man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Every gas appliance is inches (or less) from a source of ignition.

7 Likes

A meteor could also fall out of the atmosphere and hit it. Get that thing written up.

7 Likes

The meteor? :man_shrugging: :wink:
Example narrative?

3 Likes