GEC electrode

Isn’t this GEC supposed to attach to a 1/2 inch rod driven into the ground?

Yes, the GEC should be attached to an electrode (whether it’s a pipe, rod, ring UFER, etc.), however, that looks like a bonding conductor for the communication box next to the panel, which should also be connected to the GE of the residence.

Yeah it was for the phone. The GE for the house was the piping. Are you saying it has to be connected to same GE for the residence. Could it have its own GE?

No, it must be connected to the GES of the structure it’s serving. Under the 2008 and 2011 NEC a intersystem bonding terminal is required to be installed for this purpose.

Gotcha. Thanks

Variation of the original post:

What do you say when it’s an older home and you can’t see the electrode at all? For example, the electrode conductor goes into a concrete slab?

You can’t have a ground without seeing the compression type connection.
If you don’t see it here it was done wrong.

Possibly a Canadian thing, but there are exceptions to that rule in the US.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a GEC disappearing into a slab, but I have no problem stating in my report that “the connection to a grounding electrode could not be verified, and should be verified or established by a qualified electrician.”

Yes Jeff I will state that I could not find the connection under these circumstances also.

That’s exactly what I do. A lot of older homes used a hollow pipe, which does not stand the test of time.

I just steal the NACHI narrative that sounds a lot like popes

Is that wording a CYA statement on the part of the HI? Knowing Jeffery’s electrical knowledge I would surmise that if he cannot find the electrode then an electrician won’t find it either. :smiley:

To a certain extent, yes. I have had the occasion where the GEC disappeared into a wall cavity, never to emerge. In one instance, the homeowner (who happened to be a utility worker) verified grounding through a resistance/impedance test. He then traced the GEC and found the connection sealed within the wall.

Since then, I have changed my verbiage to reflect the possibility that it might be there.