Generator transfer panel.

Originally Posted By: darmstrong
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I inspected a home that had two 200 amp panels and a sub-panel being used for a transfer switch.

The sub-panel had two feeder breakers at the top, one marked generator and one marked utility. The instructions were to throw the utility breaker off and then the generator breaker to on!

I think we all know what would happen if one forgot to turn off the utility breaker and the line power came back on. Not to mention, while your generator was running, you would be back feeding the utility power line and some linesman working to correct the problem on the line would be in danger.

A transfer switch made for this application has a double pole double throw switch which will kill the line feed and connect the generator with one action, making it idiot proof.

Bottom line is, would you write this as a major defect? The wiring was nicely done, but this could blow up in someone's face and burn the house down.

How bout it Mr. Tedesco?

Danny

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

If there is a hazard associated with an installation of this type, I would call it to the attention of the person who secured your services.

Who installed this equipment?

Search Google for "Generator Backfeed" and with the local utility.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

There should be an interlock kit installed that prevents both being on at the same time.

Originally Posted By: jwortham

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/1/162355_41.jpg

This and various others like it, eliminates the problem.

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

Yes , I have installed many on commercial applications. It is a defect that needs correction.