GFCI has internal glow/light flashing

Has anyone ever seen a GFCI with an internal light flashing? (It is not the exterior indicator light.) The receptacle trips as expected, and shows proper grounding and wiring. When the dishwasher was unplugged it still glowed. When tripped - the glow goes off. The agent says it is the manufacturer’s design. Myself, and an electrician say something is wrong. The agent is a very good agent- I told her I’d keep searching for an answer. I know it is cheap to replace…just looking for productive comments. Thanks

Have not seen what you describe but why all the consternation over a $10 item?

Just curious. Also if there is a technical explanation it would be nice to know.

Do you have the brand and model number of the device?

http://hubbell-canada.com:8080/040~Electrical_Systems/.pdfs/H5153.pdf
The Hubbell LED GFCI will indicate a test
failure by also rapidly flashing a red LED. This will alert even an
unfamiliar user that a problem exists.

The photo is blurry but it does appear to be a Leviton receptacle.

Thanks very much for the responses. I don’t have the manufacturer. When the buyer moves into the home - I will ask them to look for the manufacturer (when they replace it) if they are still interested in the question. If they get back to me, I will add what I find to this post.
I opened the Hubbell link, and it looks like the indicator light is external. I went to the Leviton GFCI and it does talk about extra ‘glow in the dark’ feature - but it showed an extra exterior light designed in the front. Again thanks

Rule of thumb I use if a white fixture(smoke alarm) or receptacle has turned yellow it maybe time to consider replacing it.

Good tip-works for me.

Should the ground pin be up?

Jeff

…alright, my work is done here

My understanding is, that there is no right or wrong way for the ground pin to be in a socket. Some ascribe to the thought that a metal object dropped from above, is less likely to cause a short between hot and neutral…

No. :smiley:

They are!:grin:

That’s right about the ground pin on top. Something falling will make contact with the ground pin first, but judging from the photo, it’s about the plug having the ground on top.
I’ve seen the same plug twisted upside down when the ground is on the bottom. I would recommend turning the outlet, so as not to strain the cord and fail due to the tight twist in past inspections.