Ground wire extends from meter panel

to the ground rod, not the service panel to the ground rod.

Should I call this?

The house is 30+ years, but had extensive update / remodeling in the last 4 yrs. In the county, not city.

This isn’t the only problem. The panel is 125 Amp max Cutler Hammer with a 200 Amp main breaker.

Linda, I see a bare EGC on the left side of the panel. Isn’t it going to the Ground Rod?


Does the meter base have a disconnect switch?

With regard to the GEC, depending on where you are and the age of the installation, that was done. We used to do this many years ago. Now everything goes to the main panel/disconnect.

Are you 100% sure about that 125A panel?
That certainly looks like a 200A 20/40 space Cutler-Hammer BR series outdoor panel to me.

I see this type of GEC installation (on ground rods) on many homes in Massachusetts.

They will also have a GEC at the interior SE panel to the water main.

No, no disconnect on the meter base.

The label was on the inner door of panel. I looked at it twice cause I was amazed.

Thanks, all.

I am not questioning what you read, but that main breaker is definitely factory installed. It does not look cobbed in.
200’s are quite a bit bigger than 100’s.

Could you have been reading the “maximum branch circuit breaker” size? That would jive.
If there was a “200” anywhere in the panel part number that would indicate a 200A panel.

It was common here in PA, so I was told. The PoCo wouldn’t put in a meter unless they could actually see the ground rod installation. This was pointed out when I asked about lug mounts normally found in meter bases.

Wish it was still in-force, out grid stability would be better. :wink:


And how would something installed for lighting enhance the stability of the utility grid?

That panel is a Cutler Hammer BR2040B200RV. They are commonly sold in home centers and come with a couple of 30 amp breakers and six or so 20 amp breakers. The bus stabs are rated for up to 125 Amps for a standard breaker. I believe you can go to 200 amps using the big breaker that bolts in and connects to four stabs, can’t remember the part number, they are available in 150, 175 and 200 and they cost about $125.00.

"The purpose of system grounding is to stabilize the voltage rise between any phase conductor and earth or any phase conductor and neutral during normal operations and limit the voltage rise during abnormal conditions. Such abnormal voltage conditions can originate from lightning or line surges, unintentional contact with higher voltage lines, accidental grounding of a system conductor, or arcing ground fault conditions. "


Are you saying that it doesn’t matter what the label says, that all boxes are created equal, strentgh of material, ability to not melt under load, etc.???

Even if label says 125 max and a 200 main is installed, the 'innerd’s won’t melt from too large a current?

The buss attachments are rated for breakers up to 125 amps. This means that you could potentially have 2 2-pole 60 amp breakers mounted on the same stabs and be fine.

The panel buss itself is rated higher.