Hazardous location?

Originally Posted By: jonofrey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/D/DSC05825.JPG ]

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

John:

If the bottom edge of the glass is 18" or more above the floor, safety glazing is not required by IRC.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Quote:
2406.3 Hazardous locations.

7. Glazing in an individual fixed or operable panel, other than in those locations described in preceding Items 5 and 6, which meets all of the following conditions:
7.1. Exposed area of an individual pane greater than 9 square feet (0.84 m2);
7.2. Exposed bottom edge less than 18 inches (457 mm) above the floor;
7.3. Exposed top edge greater than 36 inches (914 mm) above the floor; and 7.4. One or more walking surface(s) within 36 inches (914 mm) horizontally of the plane of the glazing.
Exception: Safety glazing for Item 7 is not required for the following installations:
1. A protective bar 11/2 inches (38 mm) or more in height, capable of withstanding a horizontal load of 50 pounds plf (730 N/m) without contacting the glass, is installed on the accessible sides of the glazing 34 inches to 38 inches (864 mm to 965 mm) above the floor.
2. The outboard pane in insulating glass units or multiple glazing where the bottom exposed edge of the glass is 25 feet (7620 mm) or more above any grade, roof, walking surface or other horizontal or sloped (within 45 degrees of horizontal) (0.78 rad) surface adjacent to the glass exterior.

The bottom edge is not really exposed. But the IRC also states that:

Quote:
SECTION 2403
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR GLASS
2403.1 Identification.
Each pane shall bear the manufacturer?s label designating the type and thickness of the glass or glazing material. The identification shall not be omitted unless approved and an affidavit is furnished by the glazing contractor certifying that each light is glazed in accordance with approved construction documents that comply with the provisions of this chapter. Safety glazing shall be identified in accordance with Section 2406.2.
Each pane of tempered glass, except tempered spandrel glass, shall be permanently identified by the manufacturer. The identification label shall be acid etched, sand blasted, ceramic fired, embossed or shall be of a type that once applied cannot be removed without being destroyed.
Tempered spandrel glass shall be provided with a removable paper marking by the manufacturer.

So the glass is not etched properly if it is tempered glass. If not tempered glass that is going to be literally not covered. Can't find anything in IRC, IBC, etc. covering this. Could always mention this as a potential safety issue for children and recommend protection against toddler accidents.

Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

hi to all,

Looks like that should be safety glass, using the outlet for scale puts that sill at about 14-15 inches.

What is code in Texas John ?

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

What about exposed area of an individual pane >9 square feet?

That window seat right under that window kinda gives me the Willies!

Second story window too!

Any idea's? I feel like I should write this up but I want to be darn sure I'm doing the right thing.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

Originally Posted By: pdacey

C’mon you big weenie. Write it up! icon_lol.gif

That looks like it is a loft area that will be used as a bonus/game room. Usually a popular place for the kids to hang out and play. I would write it up....... but that's just me.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Who you calling a big Weenie - PDiddy? icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Inspection Nirvana!

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Kinda looks like it meets all 4 dimension requirements except maybe the <18" from floor, that is hard to determine from the photo but I agree with Gerry, it looks like it is <18". Were the construction documents available on-site? They might have shed some light on this.

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Kids are going to be walking on that window seat. Where’s the floor then?

What about those panes? They are greater than 9 SF. Wouldn't that in itself define the window as a hazardous location?

--
Inspection Nirvana!

Originally Posted By: escanlan

We discussed this in depth in the ICC RII in Austin in February. The instructors also did not care for this type of situation but the bottom edge is not considered exposed as intended by the IRC. The criteria was intended for the ability of someone accidentally kicking it, or coming into contact with it, if too close. Since the window stool is there they were able to get away with the “exposed bottom edge” issue.

Definitely an issue for toddlers and small children and if nothing else worth a note in the report to the client. Does not hurt to CYA.

Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan