Headwall flashing at tile roof

Did an inspection today on a tile roof. When inspecting the headwall flashing I noticed that it was not sitting on top of the tile as I typically see it. Rather it was running under the tile. Is there a way that this installation could be proper? I was thinking that this might work if the base flashing is a bitumen underlayment that runs the entire length of this roof portion, so any water that runs underneath the tile flows down the underlayment and over the edge. Thanks for any help and advice!

Could be channel flashing or pan flashing. But typically I would see apron flashing on top, either contouring or with weather blocking.

2 Likes

Here is a good resource

2 Likes

I agree with Brian - tile roof flashings can sometimes fool you by having a channel below. Although, that is usually at sidewalls where I’m looking for step flashing. I can’t imagine it’s correct to route the water coming down the siding below the tiles. Fwiw, I have that exact roof on my own house and that’s not at all how those intersections are flashed.

1 Like

That’s a lot of work, money and weight to avoid proper flashing. Anything is possible,

1 Like

This doesn’t look right to me. I don’t believe there would be a channel flashing at the top row, what happens when it gets full of dirt/debris, the water has to go somewhere. Headwall or apron flashing is typically used. I would call it……

“At time of the inspection there was no visible flashing observed where the roofing tiles meet the vertical head wall intersection at (Location). Typically a headwall or apron flashing is used for this application to divert and redirect water runoff from a vertical wall and to also serve as a protective barrier. Recommend further evaluation from a qualified licensed roofing contractor and any corrective repair that may be necessary for a proper flashing detail.”

2 Likes