HELP! I'll ship everyone who contributes a box of stuff from Inspector Outlet.

Thanks everyone, you guys are awesome!

My first inspection this morning had 4/0 aluminum with anti-oxidation paste on the conductors. I like to see it but don’t become an alarmist when I don’t see it.

No-Alox is considered a good trade practice, but is not required.

A new MWBC would have a means to keep the conductors grouped and handle ties or a two pole breaker.

You have the meter socket, the service panel or disconnect where the neutral and ground bond takes place and then a panel, commonly known as a sub panel.

You will not find a definition of sub panel in the NEC.

You also show a EMT fitting used for the #6 bare.

Photo 5 and 6 show the fitting that goes from the meter can to the main panel. It requires a ground bushing and bonding jumper from it to the buss like in the following picture.

Here is an excerpt from Mile Holts’ website on Article 250 of the NEC. The picture on the first page is what I am speaking of.
http://www.mikeholt.com/instructor2/img/product/pdf/1292448885sample.pdf

image.jpg

I wouldn’t say something like this because it’s a myth, the bus and the conductors have the same ampacity so location on the bus is irrelevant.

Isn’t sub panel technically called a distribution panel?

I typically call them sub panels because that is what people know them as, though.

Because of the large number of defects visible at the main electrical service panel, the Inspector recommends the service panel be evaluated by a qualified electrical contractor.

Breakers were not properly labeled. All breakers should be labeled as to show their intended purpose.

All the research I have done here in Georgia it is not required by law. But this is what I put in my report…

"One or more connections with aluminum wires in the main service panel lack anti-oxidant paste. Oxidation usually occurs without it, and may result in poor connections, overheating, and possibly fires. A qualified electrician should evaluate and apply anti-oxidant paste as necessary. "

I am a little confused on the one photo you are pointing to the side of the panel and you made the comment under it - “Non weather-tight twist-out (knockout) cover used on side of panel. Bottom of panel would have been O.K.” Are you stating that if the panel is out in the elements/weather? I don’t understand why this would be needed if it is inside?

Interesting in that you believe the “Yellow” jacket is actually required to be removed by some code reference. While it is tacky and an ROOKIE move…the NEC says how much (Minimum) is required to extend into the enclosure…not a maximum.

However, I will leave the rest to the Other Electricians…lol…

And have even seen them where strands of conductor are cut off.

Nick, it maybe of great help to some of us who don’t understand the details fo electricity to do a video showing why it is wrong and how to repair or replace. I have taken the advance electrical course and often they talk about what is wrong but don’t show what would be the right way to comment about repair.
Thanks

We never did use it. And working for a utility, I know it is not used on primary in substations either. They always taught it not to be necessary.

Paul writes:

But how would you write it? What is the exact text you would use? I’m not just interested in what is code, I’m interested in good and bad practices as well.

I’m saying that weather-tight knockouts aren’t required on the bottom side of the panel, even if it is outside. So I need to know that my statement is correct, and I need to know how to say it exactly.

The attached picture is the one I am referring to. You are pointing to the side of the panel which shows a knock out cover standard type - which I think is fine.

You wrote “Lack of nylon bushing for service entrance conductors going through offset. Required when conductors are over AWG 4.” - see attached picture -

I had never heard or see of a nylon bushing so I had to look this one up. Here is what I found…

Please keep in mind that any conductor 4 awg or larger must be protected with plastic bushings on the ends of the conduits. PVC is not exempt from the plastic bushing requirement for conductors 4 awg or larger. NEC Article 300.4.F

If you are trying to show a standard electrical panel, you need to include the door bell transformer.

As for the non weather knock out.
“Non-weather tight knock-outs are only allowed on the bottom of any panel. All other knock-out need to be weather-sealed.”

If you are going to state the correct gauge wire make sure you also include the material. 14 AWG Cu that way there can be no confusion.

If this is for International Training put a disclaimer on the top of the page stating that this is based on North America standards and that while the pictures will still show improper installation, that they need to check with their own country electrical code.