Help on tile roof

Not much experience with these. Is the flashing or covering a concern.

060606 016.jpg

Gary, I don’t see many tile roofs up here but I pulled this excellent drawing from Gerry Beaumont on another thread.

It may be helpful to you as I can’t really see how your pic is flashed.

It is hard to tell from that pic Gary. From what I can see it looks ok to me. Do you have a pic from that window?

Here’s a detailed PIC…

From what I can tell by the picture, some guy went out of his way to do a top-notch job. Would that the guys here would do half as well.

From the photo is sure looks like a good job!

Beautiful roof system. But if you could see those flashings closer you would notice they are pretty ugly. They’re not done like the diagrams. Looks like painter lead wrapped over the top of the tiles, which will work. Not very neatly done though. Those two high corners are more questionable. But if it doesn’t appear to be leaking, let it ride.

Although it may look beautiful, it is, from my experience, a poor roof system. The lead flashing that covers the tiles and most likely the plumbing vents as well, have leaked on numerous homes I have inspected. There is one development in Weston, Fl that sued the roofer over this type of installation. Every roof in the development leaked.

Hopefully, as that appears to be a new installation, there is flashing that runs under the underlayment and was hot mopped in prior to the tiles being installed. I would suspect that those tiles are nailed onto stringers that are nailed to the roof decking.

Agreed. Terrible install.

The detail in Gerry’s drawing is the correct way to do this. Without the proper flashing beneath, there will certainly be problems in the future. The top flashing is actually quite useless in this application.

The two drawings are very good, but I’m not seeing any problem in the picture itself. I guess y’all are seeing something in the picture that I’m not seeing, but I don’t have time to Photoshop it. Two big mansions with pools and three condos today. Maybe someone else can Photoshop it for when I get back this evening, unless I find some hot spots out there somewhere.

Russel,
The lead covering is supposed to some type of “deflector shield”. It was supposed to prevent water from entering any points where either the flashing met the walls or any roof protrusions were present.

After the recent batch of hurricanes here, several of those roofs lost all of that lead covering. Not to mention, if as I suspect, those tiles are nailed onto stringers and not secured with adhesive at the bottoms, here, they would and have also failed.

naildowntile.jpg

Eric, you are talking about a system II or III install. The photo is of a system I. In a system I all flashing is to be above the tile except the valley and eave flashing. No flashing underneath. In a system II or III you will not see flashing as the tile is decorative and only prevents UV exposure.

The system I is typical of Gary’s area. Gregg is about 50/50 in his area and leaning to the System II and III. Tampa St Pete to the west coast is about 80% System I. System III is best for FL and high wind areas. This is a poor installation of a system I and the poorest of the three you can have.

All flashing of this system are required to be over the tile as noted. Preferably over the next high point in the tile and not terminated in the pans.

I didn’t even think they were allowed to use that system anymore which is why I thought it was a different one.

It is a poor system.

They are not allowed to use it in your area Eric as you are High Velocity as am I in PB County. I’ll be in Coral Gables tomorrow. Little 5.4 M shack. Charged them 3,750.00. :mrgreen:

Eventually, you will not see System I used anywhere.

The drawings that are posted are for System II installations. Not III and not I unless they counter flash over the tile. The latter is from a certain NC class of long ago with ID, of which I was very familiar.

Boy you guys can see that pic better than I can.

Hopefully, it won’t be used anywhere as the whole State is going to be a high velocity wind area if a few more hurricanes hit the west and north ends of the State.

It wasn’t so much the picture, it is just that I have seen this before. I was part of that lawsuit in Weston. I failed a roof just like that one. Three roofers said it was OK and the Client bought the home.

The first rain, he had four leaks. He fought and fought with everyone until he finally had to replace the roof. All three roofers chipped in to pay the cost. I know this because I inspected the home he bought after he fixed his roof and sold the home.

The entire development had problems and I inspected 15 homes in the development. I don’t know what happened with the suit. I never got called into court.

Thanks for sharing your experince Eric. It is wonderful to learn things from others.

No problem, glad to be of service!

I also remember another development inn Boca Raton, and I can’t remember the name, where the flashing and vent stacks were like the one pictured. The valleys had metal diverters in them and all of the tiles were loose. It was a combination of the roof above and a mud down adhesive system. Walking on that roof was like surfing on ice!

Well, my mind isn’t as feeble as I thought. Escondido was the name of the development. Jeff probably knows it. It is up his way.