Help. Please critique this mock inspection form developed for InterNACHI schools.

Most of the home inspection schools in the world are now using InterNACHI’s curriculums, course materials, online resources, and inspection textbooks. The schools are also asking for paper, mock inspection, reporting forms to train their students on. We’ve come up with one (based on InterNACHI’s residential Standards of Practice):

We are seeking comments from veteran inspectors.

As always, plenty of door prizes will be shipped to the members who constructively contribute to this project.

Way to generic for me.

What do you mean? Give me an example of what you would like to see in there. We’ll give the student more space to write comments in the final version.

it would be great if I could give an answer like this see below

[FONT=Cambria-Bold][size=5]ROOF[/size][/FONT]

I
inspected
from
ground
level
or
the
eaves
the
roof–‐covering
materials. . . Used 25 power scope and roof some immediate repair loose shingles some broken .
The
roof–‐covering
materials
were
not
inspected,
because
they
were:

inaccessible Snow covered

unsafe Snow covered

not
present

not
within
the
scope
of
the
inspection

I
inspected
from
ground
level
or
the
eaves
the
gutters.

The
gutters
were
not
inspected,
because
they
were:

inaccessible Three stories home

unsafe

not
present

not
within
the
scope
of
the
inspection

I
inspected
from
ground .and could see some weeds ? trees growing They should be cleaned soon as possible .

Thanks Roy.

I inspected the vegetation, visible indications of past surface drainage that were present, retaining walls and grading of the property, where they may adversely affect the structure due to moisture intrusion.

Hey James, I’m going to ship you some free stuff. Including a microwave leak detector.

Good suggestions, Roy!

This is what we’re looking for – the common defects that you find, or the conditions that inhibit/prohibit the inspector from fully assessing the system or component.

Please give us more of these types of conditions, folks, so that we can add more specific checkbox items.

Also, is there any value in adding boxes so that you can check off items that are OK? I would think that homeowners would want this info, too.

Keep 'em coming!

Roy Cooke, you’re getting a shipment of free stuff, too. Including a microwave leak detector.

the only proper way to test a GFCI is with the test button provided not a GFCI tester as indicated in the report.

The worksheet is way too long, it needs to be put in manner that’s consistent to the time constraint present during an actual inspection. Minimal

follows elegance and works well. IMHO :wink:

HEAT
The heat was not tested due to the high ambient air temperature.

Exterior-need to add driveway and sidewalks.

Heating-location of shut off switch

A/C- location of outdoor disconnect switch

A/C -was A/C not tested due to outdoor temp being below 60-65 degrees during prior 24 hour period.

These were just a quick glance. If they are what you are looking for I will spend some time on it and see what else I might add or change.

I think there should be a spot to indicate whether or not the roof was walked on. I realize it is not required, but I also know that many, many inspectors do walk the roofs.

Also, weather conditions should be included, snow covered, freezing temperature, high winds, etc.

Type of house, bi-level, two storey, etc.

Waqar, James and Jeff, good suggestions! I’m gonna ship you guys some free stuff.

The roof surfaces were inspected visually by walking on it.
Accessible attic areas, eaves, and interior ceilings were checked for signs of leakage.

Huh? It’s visual after physical touch? :roll:

You are stalking me !

Quick look noticed split block and brick veneer missing from wall covering.

Overall I think it is a good reference to have a copy of on site and double check before you leave the site to confirm you covered all the inspection points on the SOP. I am not sure I would want to carry around a 22 page document with me during the inspection though. If thats what this is designed for, I would recommend a little box at the top to put in property address, inspection conditions, ect.