Help to ID chimney material

Hi, can you help me ID this chimney material? I was told it might be a clay covering over stainless steel.
For gas fired appliances.
Thank you.

Looks like Transite pipe from here. Potential ACM.

Same from here.:slight_smile:

Thank you Chuck & Larry.
I tried to do as much research as I could before posting but couldn’t find anything out. Just that one word “Transite“ opened the door for me.
Of course in hindsight everything is more clear, but I had a sneaking suspicion that it might be asbestos and if I had googled “chimney pipe asbestos“ I would have found it!
Thanks again.

You’re welcome Eli.

Remember single wall vent pipe needs 6" to combustible material clearance and transit tends to crack easily where it is hard to see.

It looks like a replacement is in order, eh? :slight_smile:

Good information Larry and Chuck!

Rough looking chimney venting and install. Either way, recommend a heating contractor repair/replace.

I guess different strokes for different folks in areas of the US. In my area we don’t use the word “chimney” unless it is associated with a fireplace, if it is on a oil or gas appliance we use the word “Vent”.

Transite vents were heavily used on water heaters in my area for many years and I still see them occasionally and yes they have ACM within the material but it is not friable unless cut into. During the 60’s and 70’s Transite supply air ducts beneath the slab foundations were common place in Okla and I still find them today.

Right you are Charley. Poor choice of words in my post.
Unless its masonry, I don’t typically wouldn’t use the term chimney…

I swear every house in the greater Los Angeles area built before 1980 has a transite pipe on the water heater.

Or an abandon transite pipe if the water heater was relocated to a different part of the house.

Interesting material - Transite. I’ve never seen that used here in Michigan.

That’s why I’m on here frequently…I learn so much from others.