Here's a couple tips!

Originally Posted By: rkulla
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Here’s a couple things I do.

#1,
To stop insulation from dropping all over the floor I carry a old sheet with. I spead it out on the floor before setting my ladder up. It works great. Then just shake it out later. If anyone has any tips to keep insulation from going down my neck I'm all ears.

#2,
I have a towel I clip to my belt. You can find them at your local sporting goods store. The guys that fish will know what I am talking about. They have a clip that comes with it. It works great for wiping the sweat off your self. When inspecting, your hands are in places that aren't to clean and usually get wet. I don't like use their towels. They may have just wiped there kid's butt with it. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

--
Rex Kulla
Custom Home Inspections
Maple Grove, MN
(612) 799-3093

Originally Posted By: jrice

Hey,

Also unscented wipes work great for cleaning up.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: charper

Rex,

I chuckled when I read your post about "wiping their kids butt" with one. You really should try to attract a higher level of client.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Higher level clients don’t have kids with dirty butts?

To hell with attracting clients like that, I wanna BE like that! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: Dawn Mayer

Good morning NACHI members,

I was wondering how many women there were in this field and how they were received in it?
I was considering going into home inspections as a career but have found several men who think this is not a field for a woman to be in and several woman who were stunned that a woman would even WANT to do it. I'm far from a girlie girl and fix almost everything in my house myself my husband calls me Mrs. Vila. But hey he uses a butter knife for a screwdriver so what does he know? I know there is a lot to learn and I'm up for it, and more than willing to take the classes that are NACHI certified and do the work I'm no slacker. Yes, the thought of running into a nest of brown recluse spiders well...makes me do a hee-bee jee-bee dance okay yeah I said it I'M SCARED OF BUGS! After reading some of the very manly post I don't feel so bad about saying it since I see I'm not the only one.
If there is anyone out there who has some constructive thoughts on this subject either way please post a message if your a woman in this field I would really like to know if you have had any benefits and or problems.
Oh and honey don't worry dinner will still be ready by 7:00 LOL!
![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) Many thanks

Originally Posted By: pdacey

I carry a box of sterile wipes in the truck. They work great to clean your hands between/after inspections.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dhadler

Hey Rex, try wearing a NACHI ball cap on backwards when lifting the attic hatch, it deflects all the crap from going down the back of your shirt icon_biggrin.gif

You might look like a punk, but it works

--
Darrell Hadler
Five Star Home Inspections
Medicine Hat, Alberta CANADA

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Quote:
#1,
To stop insulation from dropping all over the floor I carry a old sheet with. I spead it out on the floor before setting my ladder up. It works great. Then just shake it out later. If anyone has any tips to keep insulation from going down my neck I'm all ears.

To prevent it from going down your neck and ears you need a ride along partner or apprentice. They can open the hatches and clear the way for you. They get to learn and you can stay insulation free around neck and ears. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Originally Posted By: Dave Morris

baby powder works great to keep insulation from itching. I apply it every day I inspect.

Originally Posted By: bgentry

For cleaning up insulation and any other mess I might create, I bring along a small one gallon shop vac. Works great for just about anything, including vacuuming myself after the attic and crawlspace inspections.

Bradley S. Gentry

Superior Home Inspection, LLC

Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, &

Elkton, VA

www.superiorllc.net

Originally Posted By: rspriggs

Dawn, I’ll hop in here for you-

You’ve just posted your first note here, and it’s out of place, but somebody’s got to start somewhere - - -

There are plenty (relatively speaking) of ladies that post here, and more that I have met through our Idaho meetings.

I have complete respect for them, they are as well versed in the field as their male counterparts, and I see no reason for you to be concerned.

Search the "Find an Inspector" section on the home page, and ask the questions directly. It's not likely that a female inspector will be monitoring this particular thread and read an off-topic post.

Best to you-

--
Exploring Planet NACHI . . . One house at a time.

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.
Coeur d'Alene, ID Home Inspectors
Coeur d'Alene Home Inspectors

Originally Posted By: vprimaky

icon_biggrin.gif For protection from falling insulation on my nexk, I put on a disposable overall (I purchase mine where I purchase my Haz.mat equipment), these overall cost about $26 for a box of 24 and I uses them maybe 3 times before throwing the used coverall. No more problems with insulation in the neck!!!

Vladimir
Las Vegas

Originally Posted By: rbennett

Dawn

Sometimes we receive some requests from people who are not who they say they are but in any case here is a few ideas for you

Home Inspection is not a male / female profession

IMO It is what ones background is. See if you can go along with an inspector on an inspection before you spend time and $$ with training -- You might not like it.

At this point in time you can be a home inspector in Fl by just saying that you are one.

I would also suggest going to the NACHI national convention in Orlando, it will be worth the money and maybe a chapter meeting

Have fun and good luck --

Looks like the need for a new thread

Originally Posted By: cmccann

A roll of toilet paper in the truck.

Vacant homes can really be a bitch when they take all of the toilet paper with them.

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: gporter

icon_lol.gif

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

Originally Posted By: pbolliger

I bring a plastic sealable bin full of “disaster” control equipment and common gear,

Old towels, Disposable gloves, booties, batteries, extension cables, Tyvek suits, hard hat, face mask for Asbestos / misc. , knee pads, Paper towels, Spare gloves, Ladder pads, First aid kit... Even a fire extinguisher is a option.

You never know what to expect..

Originally Posted By: jkormos

Well here is a tip, when going to a vacant building keep a role of T.P. handy, I also have a couple of those fold up chairs nice for the customer when the home is void of antythiong to sit on other than the floor. I take a small cooler with a few cans of pop and a few bottles of water for the customer they seem to like it. But the T.P. for the hooper has been a an A$$ saver icon_biggrin.gif

Joe

Originally Posted By: dgriffith

I carry towels, rags, paper towels, toilet paper, anti bacterial soap, disposable wipes, a sheet, deodorant, clean shirt, tyvek suit, first aid kit and a plunger. Just started carrying the plunger when th a realtor and I were the only ones at the inspection and she did a number, clogged the toilet, and I had to shut off the water, run to the home depot down the road and buy one plus a mop and floor cleaner. She was so embarassed! I actually felt bad for her and reassured her it happens all the time, even though this was a first for me. But since then I get regular calls from her.

Oh yeah, a can of air freshner is also a good idea!

When you’re up to your a*@# in aligators, it’s hard to remember your main objective is to drain the swamp.

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

Talk about getting crap from a Realtor! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: wdecker

I bring little stuffed animals, each wearing orange monogramed inspection shirts like mine (see picture) if the buyer or seller has little kids.

Looking for someone to make little 'assasin kitty' stuffed animals for me.

![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)