High end Wood doors inspection (rot). Litigation

I am quoting a job to fully inspect (assess the condition) wood doors (exterior) rotting. Looking for a source that will guide me to specifics regarding the inspection.

I have done similar work in the past (moisture meter, Hydroprobe, tapping, etc). However, any additional info will help. Large number of doors to be inspected (installed). Thanks!!

John. There should be an istallation guide for these doors somewhere. Although you cannot see the stuff behind the sceens, you can sure see if the proper screws, placement fo the screws and hardware and the seen its are present and installed according to manufacture recommendations.

I would also wait for a good florida rain and use thermal imaging as well as moisture meters. If there has been no rain the recent past, then thermal and moisture meters are useless unless you perform a “water test”.

Hope this helps.

I’ve dealt with this co a number of times, maybe they can provide some info? http://www.aawdoorsinc.com/

Here is the scope of work:
1. Review all doors to identify how many doors are currently showing signs of wood rot.
2. Assess the possible reason why the doors are rotting in such a short period of time.
3. Provide a report to the owner of how many doors are rotting, reasons why they are rotting, and how many more doors you expect to rot in the future.

Exterior wood doors exposed to the elements can provide a variety of problems.
Doors showing signs of rot indicate that water intrusion is occurring due to water infiltration at the threshold and or weather stripping if the door is in swing.
A lot of time with wood doors, they start absorbing moisture due to humidity on the interior and or the exterior due to a poor in the field finish.
Pre-finished exterior wood doors could have been planed at the edges due to swelling caused by humidity and never sealed properly thereafter.
Most factory finished doors do not have the bottom and tops sealed and always left in that condition which make them prone to water intrusion and with time, rot.

Most doors on the high end homes wood be of this species, and care and maintenance instructions are always provided for the installer and the homeowner to follow.

Mahogany is a heavy wood, and quite strong. Given these qualities, and that it has natural resistance to rot and decay, it makes an excellent choice for exterior doors.

Clear Pine is a soft wood, with moderate weight. During changes in humidity cycles, it is moderately stable with some expansion and contraction.

White Oak has a natural resistance to rot which makes it an excellent choice for exterior doors. It is a relatively stable with a bit more color consistency than Red Oak. It is also slightly heavier than Red Oak, and a bit harder and smoother. White Oak is a slow drying wood and stains well with a variety of finish tones.

Inspection of the exterior doors should be based on the installation, weather stripping and threshold installation, signs of planing for any previous adjustments, and verifying sealed bottom and tops of the doors.
Only water and moisture can cause a door to rot. Sealed and remove moisture contact, doors will last a long time.
I get the feeling that it might be poor maintenance of an exterior wood product.
Most high end doors in Maine last maybe due to storm doors on 75% of them. ;):slight_smile:

Hope this helps.

What is their definition of future; a few years or a 100 or so years?

John whatever you choose to do, please be careful and cover your butt 9 ways from Sunday. From the limited info you gave us, this sounds like some builder is going to get in a legal battle with a door manufacturer and or the installer. Just cover you back side.

Jim :cool:

Get out the crystal ball. Be careful with this part! CYA with some additional PIA verbiage so they can’t come back on you if you fail to predict the future correctly.