Hip Roof shape or other

Are you saying that if the unenclosed structure’s perimeter is less than 10% of the total perimeter, it is not included in the calculation?

If it is unenclosed and not tied into the roof then it does not count. example "carport. storage shed, etc… Unless you make up your own rules in my opinion.

No, that is not what he is saying. The structurally attached non-hip sections stay in the calcs. And if less than 10% of the total roof perimeter, then HIP is the roof shape. You still have to list the total non-hip dimension and the total roof perimeter dimension on the form.

Sorry, I was confusing my question. I was thinking of counting/not counting enclosed living spaces that are not structurally attached if they are less than 10% of the perimeter.

http://postimg.org/image/oi3vpq491/

All enclosed spaces get counted. That is the first thing you determine. If not enclosed, then you can look at how the roof is attached.

Well, check out that link. That is a shot of the InterNACHI class material. It seems to say you don’t count unattached enclosed spaces if they are less than 10% of the total perimeter.

Not true…And I don’t know where the factor of “living space” got thrown into this (yes I do). It has nothing to do with living space. Suppose that room in the photo was a garage…it gets counted because it is “enclosed”.

Could be, if the unenclosed area roof is part of the main roof envelope.

So why does the course mention “it is a living space and greater than 10% of the roof perimeter. It should be considered in the total roof geometry.” Seems like they are saying if it was less than 10% and not part of the roof system it would not be counted.

I agree, it is worded badly. The comment about being over 10% of the total roof perimeter just means that the selection will be “Other”. But that house would be Other without that flat roof.:roll:

Thanks for explaining that - makes a lot of sense. Count all areas that are enclosed and only roof structure attached unenclosed spaces.

Also Michael, make a habit of drawing up a small diagram of your calculations whenever it seems pretty close. The underwriters may ask you for it afterwards and that’ll save you another trip out.

Bert

Good point. I always include a roof sketch on any roof between 5% and 15% NH.

You know, I was thinking about doing this yesterday. You never know. Just like Bert said, Saves you on the second trip.

Hmmmm

I have NEVER provided a sketch and NEVER had to go back on a second trip because of it?

I have also NEVER been asked for one by any insurance company.

This is the kind of stuff that will get added to the next form and cause us all unneeded extra work that we will not get compensated any more for doing.

On Insurance Inspections IF IT IS NOT REQUIRED DO NOT DO IT. You screw us ALL in the long run.

Just something to think about…

Let’s say the attached open front porch is a 12 ft gable, for this matter it could be anything.
Would you all include that?

Marc, This is what I’m going off of or was told. If it is unenclosed and not tied into the roof then we don’t count it regardless of the shape. I really would like to know if this is correct or not. I heard of inspectors calling the OIR and they couldn’t give them an honest answer:roll:

I go back to being a QA inspector for the MSFH program.
We were instructed then not to consider stuff like the porches I mentioned to be part of the total perimeter.

Just wanted to see if anyone sees it different.
I do not count them.

Things have changed quite a bit since MSFH. If that gabled entry is part of the main roof system, then it gets counted in the calcs.

This is correct. Why would anybody question it? It’s laid out for you on the form, and this is not ambiguous.