Hiring a Home Inspector

Kevin:

Based upon your previous posts I believe that you, at one time, taught a HI course in SSM.

If I am correct, what was the course material based on?

I am very suprised that you do not know about the National Occupational Standards for home inspectors?

Cheers

Doug:

I won’t comment on your comment above, but I also was left wondering…after all, the NOS is the basis on which almost all Canadian inspection courses, including Carson Dunlop’s, are based.

On the other hand, you, Marcel and many others are about to be very happy that you chose to earn you NHI credential from the NHICC. Congratulations !!!

Bill Mullen

It is not based on this at all Doug! This is directly linked to CAPHI and I only taught CARSON DUNLOP. No connection at all to this standard that I can see was the one that caused CMHC to advertize wrong.
When I taught I was very careful not pull attention to OAHI, CAPHI or INTERNACHI.
That is why I got the JOB plus I was highly recommended.
Reason I did not get the teaching for “Home Inspection Technician Diploma” is it was **Endorsed **by “MIKE HOLMES” and would have nothing to do with it.
This standard also has no connection with InterNachi either.
For those that want to check it out here it is.
http://www.nationalhomeinspector.org/HPI_Revised_NOS_FINAL_-_June_2008.pdf

Really, Kevin??

If the Carson Dunlop course is not based on the NOS, what is it based on? I was very involved with the NOS and the NCP and I am well aware that Carson Dunlop and most other educators in the country based or modified their courses so they would meet the NOS. CD was one of the first to be acknowledged as an educator that complied with the NOS.

The NOS is also not a ‘CAHPI’ thing either. It is an industry asset which CMHC helped develop. As I said earlier, there were CAHPI members, NACHI members and non-aligned inspectors on the committees that created and reviewed the NOS.

CAHPI chose to adopt the NOS, but so did other groups such as the NHICC.

On another note, exactly what did CMHC ‘advertize wrong’ ? If they did so, they need to be told.

Bill Mullen

I already now this Bill and no I did not even mention the NOS in the class. Now it is up to you to figure out why?
I have a direct link to ROY and RAYMOND.
The CD’s are joke and we as PROFESSIONAL HOME INSPECTORS know it.
Don’t open up this discussion because it gives me a very bitter taste in my MOUTH.

Kevin:

I think we are talking about different things.

When I wrote CD it was a short form for Carson Dunlop. You seem to have a different meaning for it, and I have no idea why you would bring Raymond and Roy into this.

Sorry, but I’m really having trouble following your riddles, so I’ll just back away.

Bill Mullen

Hi Bill,

Is NHI’s going to be being recognized and promoted by the OACIQ in Québec and in other provinces for that matter?

Heck, you teased us enough about this in your newsletters…

Very wise decision!

Drill deeper and you will find out that the NOS (National Occupational Standards) define knowledge and skills for an occupation. Most occupations, but not all occupations have “standards” that are recognized that define the required skills to perform the work.

Example - Program Standards for Architectural Technology - http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/pepg/audiences/colleges/progstan/techno/architechnology.html

However defining the skills, and assessing “IF” a person can achieve performance at that level are two entirely different things. That requires proper “assessment”, not just trial and error!

Regarding home inspector training at Sault College, other than Mike Holmes - what is the actual individual home inspection courses based on? Is it the Carson Dunlop modules? Or something else?

Which brings up the obvious question - Kevin what course materials did you use when you taught the course?

Again, the question regarding CMHC - what have they advertized wrong?

Kevin I see you now know how to see illusionists tricks.

Robert - Please explain what illusionsionist tricks are you talking about?

What people think or allege, or based on first hand facts.

Might it be this one that has not got Home Inspection as a trade yet!
http://www.credentialingexcellence.org/
That is privileged information that you can find on the Sault College website.
Carson Dunlop Home Inspection CERTIFICATE was the course.
CMHC has corrected the problem but the damage has been done already.

As far as I’m aware, NHICC is already NCCA/ICE accredited as is ASHI.

G

Maybe I should tell Nick because I think it is time they are accredited with them also!
I would think he could just take info requirement needed in Alberta and present it to them.
Done deal then his InterNachi courses will be recognized there too.

Hi Gilles:

Not to play down NCCA/ICE, but the NHICC is involved with a bigger, more well-known and important Canadian organization which is the subject of our forthcoming announcement. It truly is a game changer for our industry.

Hope to see you on Wednesday !!!

Bill Mullen

So I guess I will have to be a bug on the wall to find out right Bill!

Congratulations Bill and all that helped you on you efforts.
You are being rewarded for you efforts.

I hope you are right Robert because it is time something happened with a LARGE impacting CANADIAN association.

Claude.
Kevin Wood is a perfect example of at arms length for a unbiased view.
He can separate fact from fiction when fact is placed in front of him to read…
He has devoted his life to home inspection teaching at one point, continued education and now working on a government recognised home inspection association.m AT ARMS LENGTH. fOR THE GOOD OF THE HOME INDUSTRY.

I am being generalist in my statement.
In my findings (which are narrow by scope as compared to other) I also lost 6 years of folders and files. Every association has dissected Carson Donlop’ s (the first in this unique study) on home inspections.
I still find them a viable staple that many use.

It was no poke at anyone spastic but a full blown statement at all the home inspection association in general. Everything infront of us today was and is still invested by a Canadian. Not bad.

To make it a little planer Claude, Kevin has a good eye on the past as to what my understanding is.

You deserve a congratulations too seeing your investment into the NHICC.
If you follow may past position the national standard I think it is a great bench-marker. So is the CMI.

Everyone deserves a congratulation on their efforts.
Whether they are or are not our direction that individual still has the right to a good effort.

I am sick and tired of in fighting and hear say.

If a line has been crossed it is because others did not join and fight the affront.
To strike out on there own to reinvent the fuc-ing wheel and suck more money out of hommies and home owners has to stop.

What does cross the line when “tax payers money” is not shared equally among Canadian association’s if its been done… It does cross the line when others try to omit individuals into government hears saying disparaging remarks accusations and lies.
iI is offensive when individuals say “they know it all”. That the biggest lie of them all.

All the best buddy. The world will not end if the NCIHH gets what’s due if it was respectfully gained…