Hole in sheathing

Originally Posted By: dpelaez
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m doing a new construction inspection and found a 2 " hole in the sheathing but the shingle roof has already been installed. If you look thru the hole, you can see the roof paper . Should I ask for a request that the hole be fixed ?

Originally Posted By: jmertins

I don’t know i f you should ask for the hole to be fixed. You were hired by the home buyer to inspect and provide info back to them. Provide the info that you find and try to avoid a pissing match with the builder. The last thing you want to do is become the inbetween or negotiator for your client. Inspect and bring forth the facts. It will save you a lot of hassle and let you sleep at night.

Just my 2 cents.

--
John Mertins

Baxter Home Inspections, Inc.

"Greatness courts failure"

Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy

Originally Posted By: jstevens

Hi That hole in the roof is for a vent pipe to be installed .They do it that way a lot, check to see if the bath vents are in yet , good luck

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I simply annotate it in the report and move on.

Will this leak? NO

This was probably a sheet of plywood that was intended for a roof penetration elsewhere, but they simply wanted to use it up.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jkormos

If it is not for a future vent and if someone steps on it lets say when they are cleaning the gutters or putting up the x-mas lights… then what I would just report it to your customer and make them aware.

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

A peg-leg might slip through but I doubt a foot.

I've seen 2" knot holes in 50 yr old roof planks.

--
Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: jkormos

not slip through but if stepped on by lets say my 230 lbs especially if I was wearing pumps icon_eek.gif , just kidding, I never wear pumps on the roof. It may cause the area to weaken and thus result in a possible entry point for moisture. not a big concern but a concern none the less.

Originally Posted By: jlybolt

IRC calls out for roof decking to be solidly sheated. I dont consider any holes in the decking to be solidly sheated unless there for a specific reason.

Originally Posted By: cbuell

what about skip-sheathing for shakes?

I was under the impression it was a composition shingle roof. If so I was using the following reference frm the IRC 2000.

section R905 Req. for roof coverings

R905.2.1 Sheathing requrements. Asphalt shingles shall be fastened to solidely sheathed decks.

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

since most roofs should be done with OSB knot holes have all but been eliminated. the heel of my work boots are just a little bigger than two inches across but if only half of my heel hits that hole it may “scare” me off balance if I’m already nervous about roofs, so I would note it and move on. not large enough to be of a concern by itself. (just 2 more cents.)

Originally Posted By: Monte Lunde

dpelaez

A 2" hole in the roof sheathing is no big deal from a Safety or Structural view point.

Jay

I am still trying to figure out how a 2" heel (Square) can go through a 2' circle or it can cause you to be off balance. For your Safety when working heights, your work boots should have a flat surface (Tennis shoes will work). Heels can catch things and cause you to fall. No big deal on the ground but in the air that is a different story.

James
Your statement "R905.2.1 Sheathing requirements. Asphalt shingles shall be fastened to solidely (solidly) sheathed decks. " I think that you should lookup the meaning of "solidly" before you use R905.2.1 as a code reference to a question of a 2' hole in roof sheathing.

--
Monte Lunde CCI, CCPM, CRI
Viking Construction Services Inc.

solid = 1. not hollow 2. having no openings or breaks 3. consisting solidly of substance of material.

so would a 4, 5, or 6 inch hole be o.k.?

Regardless I would just let the customer know and go on. Its no big deal.

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

monte.

what I was trying to portray is if the homeowner (me) was sent up the the roof by order of a “honey-do” list or what ever. if he is reluctant in the first place and not cumfy-cozy an a roof …just a what if. no you’re right other than that, no issue. maybe a little comment in margin.