Home Warranties

Originally Posted By: Russell Stephens
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

does anyone offer home warranties with their inspections?

Originally Posted By: rray

A lot of the franchises do.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Russell,

I've been looking into this recently and I am waiting on quotes as we speak.
Like Russel says, There are franchises that will do that for you.
They will take on the aftermarket responsibilities of the Home Inspection.
I am going to look into this and give feedback as soon as I get more information.

Check out this site and let us know what you think. icon_wink.gif
http://www.ahomewarranty.com

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

That’s the one that a lot of franchises use.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Thanks for the reply I have checked into this myself and it seems like a good thing but who knows till you ask. There are not any inspectors in this area that offer home warranties so I think it will be a good selling point especially for someone just starting. I just have to wait and see what company I may want to use. Let me know your results of your quote.

AHW charges my company franchises $12 for each 90-day warranty. Not a bad price for what it does.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Do you have any contact info for AHW

I don’t. Mike Faulconer, also a NACHI and HomeTeam franchise, might. I believe he uses them.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

After speaking with some of those franchise operators I have come to the conclusion that they are more trouble than they are worth.

Once you get people into that mindset you are almost guaranteed to waste lots of your time explaining to everyone why this issue is not covered. icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

>>Once you get people into that mindset you are almost guaranteed to waste lots of your time explaining to everyone why this issue is not covered.<<

Hi Joe,

From someone who never takes advice, I think this is brilliant and have applied it to my business, you have help me finally scratch that particular itch. Thanks

The consideration was never to use the warranty for revenue enhancement, but strictly to help me differentiate my company from the pack.

In retrospect I believe our money back guarantee and free re-inspect of repairs is more valuable and controllable than an any outside warranty could be.

Joe Burkeson

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: rking

Hi Guys,

I offer a home warranty through the company I did my training with, and it does not cost me personally. I am not sure if it applies to the US but you can check it out at www.carsondunlop.com, it is a pretty good deal.
By the way the company is out of Toronto, Ontario.
Let me know how you make out.

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Originally Posted By: mbailey

For warranties as well as all else when dealing with a client ? if you find your clients level of understanding (or not understanding, as the case may be) and set their expectations properly there should not be issues. There will always be some issues of course, as with any other sales item it is unavoidable and part of doing business.

We have been asked by several of our clients if we offer a warranty or will be offering a warranty in the future? currently under consideration.

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

Originally Posted By: rking

With the warranty that I use, it is not my own, I am merely pointing my clients toward a company that offers one. I have had a good response to it so far, but I am relatively new to the business, twenty years of carpentry was enough of that!

Muskoka Home Inspections

“Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences”

Steering Committee Member At Large

Joe B.

Just so happens I agree with you. While I don't do the money back, I do the free re-inspect and IMHO is the route to go.

When you join one of the franchises you don't always have a choice, the franchise offers the warranty and you have to live with it. icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

jmyers wrote:
When you join one of the franchises you don't always have a choice, the franchise offers the warranty and you have to live with it.

I don't believe that is true at all, Joe, since "Each Office Is Independently Owned and Operated." My franchisor sets up many partnerships for me, but I get to pick and choose which ones I want.

Now it might be different for some franchises, particularly those which do national advertising, e.g., Amerispec and Pillar to Post. You'll never see The HomeTeam advertising on inspectionnews.com as a partner like Amerispec is. I pay name royalties and advertising royalties, but I get to determine 100% where my advertising royalty dollars are spent, and I spend them all locally.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Joseph Hagarty wrote:
Similar to a warranty but only covers things that subsequently break down and not items defective at time of inspection that a warranty would cover.

That is exactly the type of warranty that The HomeTeam Inspection Service offers through American Home Warranty. It does not cover items defective at the time of the inspection.

In fact, I don't think it matters what it is called--warranty, guarantee, or insurance--I don't know of any of those that cover something that already is defective. I sometimes have to educate new Realtors on that fact. I have quite a few insurance companies call me to check to see if something was working at the time of the inspection. Read the fine print.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: kbliss

Since I am not a franchise would it be smart just to add it in the inspection price or does everyone just eat it? I know it`s not a big exspense but it all adds up.

Kurt Bliss

Hey, not-a-NACHI-member Kurt. I’m also not a NACHI member.

Pricing is something that you have to decide on based on your own need for income to pay your expenses. Hopefully you will not run your business with a deficit budget like the government does. All your expenses should be paid for by your Clients, i.e., set your prices high enough to cover your expenses. Deciding how much in addition you want to make (profit) may determine how many hours a day you work, unless you're simply a workaholic like me and work 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, holidays included.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Kurt,

I was going to offer those warraties, adding the price onto the cost of the inspection. After talking with Mr H. on occasion I have decided they are more trouble than they are worth.

I have to agree with Russel, you will have to decide how much you want to make. After researching those other inspectors in your area you will have to be price competitive with them, or higher if they are not offering the warranty so you can justify the higher cost of your inspections.

If you need some help let me know, I would be more than happy to help you.

Joe Myers